My Mix Levels are "Auto Changing"

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVS Lee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:26 pm

And I'd rather they not do that...

Dear all, could some wise guru (that is, any colleague with a similar setup) test this file for me?

In this fin 25 file (win 10), the percussion mix settings are correctly saved with the file, but change immediately when I hit playback.

Finale mixer/score manager vol & pans are disabled (because I'm using GPO and NP3 instruments, and the two players respond differently, I find it simpler to set levels in the players.)

Ctl-alt-i brings up correct balance between the banks (guess which bank has the GPO harp...)

selecting bank 4 before playback correctly shows the percussion patches at -2 & -4 db.

Hitting playback (from anywhere in the score) immediately drops the mix levels by 2 to 5 db (which renders the cymbals inaudible.)

HP is set to standard (per NP3), and there are no hidden CC7 messages. I've cleared midi data via the edit menu, and CC7 data (of which I don't think there is any) via the midi menu.

What is the obvious thing that I'm overlooking?
Thanks loads in advance.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 pm

The level and pan are generated from either the Score Manager or the Mixer (not the VST mixer). Whatever is set in one or the other of those places (those match each other) will be reflected in the VST Bank mixer. You'll have to find out what value between 0 and 127 matches the number you want in the VST mixer.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi Zuill -

That would indeed be the default behavior, but as I noted, I've set vol and pan to *not* send from finale to Aria and NP3. (You can right click on the controls in studio view to confirm.) Also note that the baseline vol shown in score manager is not what is propagating to the Aria mixer. Something else is at work...

But thanks for the quick reply; as always, your input is much appreciated.

RVSL

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Sorry I didn't read your original post more carefully.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."