Revert to chosen tempo

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Sorry if this has been dealt with before and I can't find it. Attached, an abridged section of a Vivaldi piece. I set the playback tempo very high (400). m1-2 play correctly. The Adagio seems correct. My experimental expression "aaa tempo" is supposed to revert to the setting in the Playback Tool box (currently 400), but it seems to match the Adagio. How can I direct it to the selected Playback tempo? I left the definition, Edit > Playback > Set to tempo at zero, but I have tried everything I can think of in this dialog box. The point is, I don't want to have to set the tempo here, only in the Playback Tool. Is this possible?

The 1st checkbox here, "Match playback to metronome marking text" seems to mean to match the prior Adagio, but checked or unchecked there's no change in behavior.

edit: My [Allegro Molto] is deliberately dysfunctional, so that the tempo is the one that I set numerically.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:30 pm

I would not rely on the tempo in the playback tempo slot. I would define each tempo marking for the tempo I want.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks Zuill, for getting back. If that's the only way, then so be it. My situation is that I will be using docs like this for pedagogical Zoom meetings with amateur instrumentalists who will play along, and it will be useful to adjust for different tempos on the fly, depending on the abilities of the participants. Changing the single number in Playback is quick -- searching for a-tempi throughout is slow & difficult.

I see one possible work-around -- instead of Adagio (in this case) I could have a near substitute, like molto-rallentando, so that a-tempo ought to revert to the Playback setting. I don't know how these tempo alt details are defined, but I'm happy to learn -- it would be nice to create say, a ritard-subito or rall-subito. Is this the best I can do in this kind of situation?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:05 pm

montedoro44,

If I understand you correctly, you need the same playback tempo (e. g. 400) in several places in the document - right?

And you need to change this playback “on the fly” so that the tempo changes in all the places “at one fell swoop” - right?

Instead of using the Playback Controls I would create a Tempo expression for the tempo - and place multiple instances of that expression in the score.

To change the tempo, edit the expression - and the tempo will be changed at every instance of that expression.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks Peter, that makes it manageable -- I think that will be the easiest approach for playing along with. For optics, I suppose I can name that expression something like " å têmpö ". I count 8 key presses more than just changing the tempo in Play. :) I wonder why Finale doesn't have a "Use Play tempo" option along with "Match playback to metronome marking text".