Changing playback styles mid-song

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RufusTF
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by RufusTF » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 pm

I looked around to see if this was covered elsewhere but didn't find anything. May have missed it, and apologies if this is a redundancy.
Im writing a film score and I need to go from straight eighths to swinging eighths, and back. I know this was fairly easy to do in earlier versions but I am lost in the new one. Any help is appreciated, I'm really hoping this is an easy task that a more knoledgeable user can advise me on.

Also, is there any way to control the duration of a fermata in playback? I'm trying my best to sync my MIDI score with a film, and although this will ultimately be recorded with real players I want to be able to give the director an idea of what the completed score will sound like, and the ability to do this would be very helpful.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm

Swing is an easy one. Create an Expression to do that. There is one warning. Due to what I consider a bug (MakeMusic agrees that there is a problem), you need to make sure all the parts are selected in the Part column in the Score List. When going back to straight, use a matching expression to do that.

As far as other HP settings, there are ways to get what you want. The one that is most reliable involves Hard Wiring the HP MIDI data, rather than allowing Finale to do that on the fly. You select the measure region, then apply the HP style using the MIDI Tool. For a different HP style, choose another region and apply that the same way.

If you just want certain custom adjustments, you can use the MIDI Tool and do that manually. Unfortunately, that is not as easy as I make it out to be. It takes some study about the tool, and some trial and error to get precise results.

Trying to trick HP into getting certain results can be hit and miss, but you can try that as well.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."