Percussion Playback Problem.

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carson Dunbar
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by Carson Dunbar » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:32 am

Dear Finale User:
Please review the attached file and concentrate only on Percussion 1 playback.

There are but 4 percussion sounds that speak on the following notes (bass clef equivalents) below middle-C: B-suspended cymbal; E-Snare Drum; D-Bass Drum; A-Bass Drum.

The specific name for this setup in the Score Manager is called Basic Percussion Map-Tom.
Question: why do the remaining sounds NOT SOUND! Can you please fix the Percussion Map so they speak?

I have attached a file with half-notes on each line and space and soloed the Percussion 1, so one can hear straight away that there are missing sounds.

Thank you very much for your attention.
Sincerely,
Carson Dunbar
Attachments
MG Act II-dh_1.7_Finale Forum.musx
Percussion Playback Problem
(208.57 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:22 pm

Look at the Layout and you'll see that 9 of the sounds there are available in the GIfF Basic Orchestral Percussion map. The ones with a dash instead of a MIDI number are not available. You can still use those in the score, but you won't hear them.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Carson Dunbar

Post by Carson Dunbar » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Dear Zuill:
Thank you! I see what you mean and despite my trying to fix it and in consultation with other Finale experts, I may never be able to hear them in Playback? In other words, is there some roundabout way to manually insert a "midi note" that satisfies the Percussion Map's requirements or am I doomed never to hear them?
Again, thank you!
Carson Dunbar

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Well, you mention other Finale experts. What did they suggest? That would be a start. There are options, but I would like to know their thoughts first.

Zuill

Carson Dunbar

Post by Carson Dunbar » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Ok, thanks. I'm waiting, not on this Forum, for an answer. Hopefully, the fellow will do the responsible thing and get back to me, but you never know.
In the meantime, thank you for your time!

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:00 am

One solution: most of the Layouts are designed as a teaser to get you to buy the full GPO. I believe if you purchased that, then you would have the other sounds in the Map that comes with GPO. There is another trick that I have used that is quite hard to do, and that is to use 2 different Maps with one Layout. Not easy, but doable.

What other sounds do you need form that Layout?

Zuill

Carson Dunbar

Post by Carson Dunbar » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:31 am

Thank you!
Here's the list:

Bell Tree, Temple Block, Triangle, Tambourine, Shaker, High Wood Block, Low Wood Block, High Bongo, Cabasa, Low Bongo & Anvil.

Note: some sounds are arranged to be located on the same line or space but with differing noteheads, to distinguish. This was done, I think, to accommodate all the various percussion instruments to within one staff.

Thanks!