No-scroll is 2 operations -- are they separable?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:27 am

In Playback Settings> Scrolling playback, unchecking implies 1) no visible cursor, and 2) no movement to follow the current position when the music goes off-screen. Is there any way to activate no-visible-cursor but retain visibility of the active measures of the score?

This is desirable for presenting music-minus-one pieces in Zoom meetings. There is a sound transmission delay, so my recipients see the cursor jumpy and lagging, and so distracting as they try to play along. So we're stuck with only pieces that are short enough to display on a single screen. And that already is variable, as some folks have small screens or different L/W ratio, so they don't see quite what I see, or not as well.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:30 am

As you have found, group music in Zoom is pretty awful. I don’t think there is a way around it.

There are other programs in development, but nothing so far.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:23 am

Well thanks, miker. You'd think that Finale would want to enable solid mmo, given Zoom's instability -- likely a lot of people would be prompted to mmo smoothly. Like thousands of teachers, at least.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Jamulous is an On-Line Music Service that fixes Latency.
My Wife uses it in a Choral Group she meets with Online.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:23 pm

That was one that I heard about, but I thought it wasn't really ready, yet. I could be wrong, though!

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... &q=jamulus

Don't expect Finale to do anything.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Regarding scrolling, I would prefer to keep the scroll if possible. However, if it is halting, that may be a processing issue, not necessarily Finale or Zoom.

Have you gone into preferences and tried to change the color of the Playback Cursor to White? I don't know if that gives you what you want. That might actually be worse.

Regarding Zoom meetings, Zoom has added many upgrades lately. I know about the delays that are inherent in Zoom, but sharing the screen also allows sharing the sound right out of your computer, rather than through your speakers, which gives much better reasults when teaching via Zoom. Of course, using Original Sound is a definite setting. I haven't tried the Hi-Def audio yet. Maybe somebody can report on that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes, with Zoom I share computer sound also. I haven't experimented yet being on the receiving end, but my horn group is happy with it, so I know that it sounds better than cycling thru my pretty-good speakers & back thru the mic.

Strange coincidence here -- as Finale packs two operations into no-scroll, Zoom packs both computer sound and mic sound into Share computer sound. And that's crimping -- I would like to play along with the pieces I present, but privately. I might try getting an external mic and put a switch on the wire. OTOH, it's hard to complain when I remember when there was no such thing as a computer. As a tape recorder.

I will check out Jamulous, thanks!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Did you try changing the Playback Cursor to White in preferences? If you choose Scrolling playback with a white cursor, that may solve the initial problem.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Just tried that -- the cursor is a lot less intrusive. Horn group is tonight, & I'll try it out. Thanks for the idea! I wouldn't have thought of this, even didn't know that it was here to think of. There's a fine line between color preferences and Document Options, & I've seen note-color prefs there. Still learning.