One day, it just stopped making sound,....

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RufusTF
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by RufusTF » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 am

I'm running Finale 26 on a macBook Pro, Catalina 10.15.6

Not having changed a thing, MIDI playback emits no sound from the headphone output. I did notice that when opening a new document, it defaults to audio units and I have to change it, but on the majority of my files, nothing.

I looked at the Audio MIDI setup, the Device setup, it all looks kosher.

I hit play, and the green cursor starts scrolling across my score, and nothing happens. I did open an old document, and about half of the instruments made sound, but through the little speakers I have connected to my midi keyboard, not the computers headphone output.

The discontinuation of phone support has me cheesed enough to defect to Sibelius, but I don't want to use a subscription, so it appears I'd better get more savvy with Finale. In the meantime, I could really use some help. I need to get cracking on a few projects, and playback with MIDI is essential.

Can someone help me get this thing going? I'm not much of a computer guy, more of a music guy that learns what's necessary to accomplish the task at hand, so it's likely an easy fix that I just don't know how to tackle.

Thanks in advance-
J

mknoll
Finale Version: 2014, 2014.5, 25

Post by mknoll » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Just a shot in the dark here...

My son's 2014 MacBook Pro had an intermittent problem with the headphone jack just dropping out unexpectedly and then coming back just as suddenly. When Finale sounds stop working, can you get the headphones to work in other programs?

RufusTF
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by RufusTF » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Yes, the jack is fully functional in all other regards. I can safely say it’s not a hardware issue but is somehow part of the way it’s configured. The fact that one score will play a portion of the instruments but not all. (Baritone sax plays, tenor and alto are silent, no brass, rhythm section instruments play).
I did notice that when in studio setting the red print that displays the midi or other sounds all are different with every file I open. Often when I try to reset them I get the word missing. Something is deeply flawed with it’s midi setup.