Pizz. affecting all staves

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NotaBene
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by NotaBene » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi,

I have a roland xv-5050 module that I use with Finale.
In ver. 2009 I used to play all strings staves (1st Violin, 2nd etc., since I only have 16, and others are in use for other instruments) through 1 MIDI channel (12) and still apply expressions to each stave without affecting the other.

when I wanted one stave (contrabass for ex.) to play pizzicato, I used the expression 'pizz' which I defined to play through channel 13 (pizzicato strings in roland).

now in ver.26 I use the same thing, but when I add pizz. to one stave all other staves play pizz.

strange thing - when uploading a 2009 file to 26, it is ok and playing the pizz. where it lays, but when starting a new file in 26, and defining a pizz. expression the same way, all other staves play pizz.

I thing there is something different in the stave vs. channels 26 Finale programming, since in 2009 GM/Sound is not connected to midi channel num., and when changing GM/Sound on one stave in ver. 26, all other staves that where applied to the same channel is converted to the same GM/Sound, in ver. 2009 it is not the case.

Is anyone here had the same issue? Is there a way around it?

help please..

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Your description is a bit confusing, but v26 should be able to do what you did in 2009. What I get from your description is that you use the Pizz. expression to basically change the channel to a different MIDI channel, which has the Pizz instrument assigned. It sounds like all your string staves are being routed to that patch. This might happen if all your strings are on the same MIDI channel. It sounds like that might be the case. If you can upload the 2009 file we might be able to examine how it is configured.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

NotaBene

Post by NotaBene » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 pm

It's exactly what I wrote, I'm routing 5 staves to the same Midi channel (Num. 12, since I only have 16 and the other channels are occupied by other sounds).

I also wrote that in 2009 ver. the Pizz. routing to another MIDI channel (Num.13, which is saved for Stage Pizzicato in my module editor) is affecting ONLY the stave with the expression.

NOW, when starting from scratch in 26 ver., the same method does not work, BUT! when uploading a file from the 2009 ver. to the 26 ver. it works.

I've noticed, that in 26 ver., the GM/Sound is connected to the MIDI channel, and when changing it (the GM/Sound) when all are routed to the same MIDI channel, changes all other staves' GM/Sound, and this is not the case with the 2009 ver.

FINALE MAKE MUSIC certainly did something that changed it, so it seems I cannot use the same method again, but maybe there's a way around it or a setting I could change.

I added the files as you requested.
Attachments
Finale 2009 test.mus
(49.79 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Finale 26 test.musx
(103.81 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:18 pm

I see what you are talking about. If I change the channel of one instrument in the 2009 file opened in v26, and then change it back, that also links the 2 staves in regards to the pizz playback. You might want to send these files to MakeMusic and have them figure it out.

The only workaround I can come up with may not suit your needs, but will still allow only 2 Channels on your keyboard. Basically, it is tgo set Layer 2 (or any Layer you prefer) to Channel 13 on each of the staves of strings. Then, use layer 2 when you need pizz. Make sure to define a pizz expression with no playback value.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Follow-up. I tested earlier versions and 2012 seems to be the last version that behaves the way 2009 does. There's something they changed starting with 2014. I can't say what the change is, or if there is a way around the change.

Zuill

P.S.: Also, listening to the non-pizz staves in their own linked part is not affected by the pizz. This is also true if a staff is isolated as a Staff Set. So, the odd behavior is only in the Score.

NotaBene

Post by NotaBene » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Zuill,

Thanks for replying, finally someone else can see what I'm talking about :)

How do you suggest I contact MakeMusic? Do you think they will respond?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Log into your account at finalemusic.com, and you will be able to file a support ticket. Be aware that they are running at least two weeks behind.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society