Playback Issues After Updating to Finale 26

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:48 pm

I just purchased an upgrade from Finale 2014 to the current version. Windows 10. I ran into some issues - I have no playback sound - and have a tech ticket in with MakeMusic - but - they said the wait for a response might be up to two weeks - and all my work is on hold.

I do music production with Cubase and have many VST instruments. And one of my bundle VST instruments is Garratan ethnic instruments. So I already had Aria Player installed on my computer. As I installed Finale 26, I (probably mistakenly) reinstalled Aria Player. After installation, I noticed that my Finale files were now assigned to CorelDraw. Not sure why it didn't default to Finale 2014.

An error msg popped up: Missing VST Instrument Plug-In: Aria Player. This msg pops up when I hit playback.

I am able to use Aria Player for the Garritan VST plug-in.

How do I set Finale to 'see' it?

Thanks.

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Noting on this? My work is now at a standstill. I don't know why the new version of Finale doesn't recognize my Aria Player. As I stated, Aria Player works as a stand alone app and as a VST in a DAW. As soon as I enter my first note in a measure, a pop-up says:
Would you like Finale to reassign all instruments in this document to sounds available on your computer?
and I am tempted to hit YES but am leery as I don't want to mess around with the VST settings for other apps.

Perhaps I caused this problem when I was installing Finale and a pop-up asked me if I wanted to write over a previous copy of Aria Player? Unfortunately when such options pop up, there is no further information of the impact of each choice.

How do I get Finale to recognize Aria Player?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm

You can certainly still work. Just use the MIDI sounds, while you wait for a better response.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:52 am

This helps while I wait.

Thank you.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 pm

I don't know if this will help or not, but the user manual says: When you install a new version of Finale on your computer, your VST directory settings are not copied from the previous version. If you have specified one or more non-default locations for Finale to find virtual instrument plug-ins, you must do so again for the new version of Finale..
Also, in Windows you can reassign which program opens file types, if you haven't yet done this to change from Corel. Open the file explorer (windows key + E), go to any of the .musx files, right-click and select "open with." Don't use the "Microsoft store" option, but scroll down for the app (presumably Cubase, in your case, rather than Finale?).
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5