Gliss for multi staff instrument doesn't playback correctly

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

joshuafaggion
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by joshuafaggion » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Hey Finale Forum!

I'm working on a piece where there is a harp gliss that needs a tremendous range, so it is done over two staffs. Harps usually have two staffs so I didn't expect anything to be strange. The screenshot shows what I'm trying to do.

However, the playback is completely funky when I try this. It sometimes goes the opposite direction starting at beat 1 instead of the correct beat, or it plays a very slow gliss over 10 bars or so. I would really like to hear this correctly, and I feel like this should be very possible right?
Attachments
harp gliss.PNG
harp gliss.PNG (80.77 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:18 pm

You might try putting writing the high note on the bottom staff and then moving it with the Note Mover tool.

joshuafaggion

Post by joshuafaggion » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm

motet wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:18 pm
You might try putting writing the high note on the bottom staff and then moving it with the Note Mover tool.
That works for playback, but then it looks really strange. Is there a solution for that looks good and sound good?
Attachments
harp gliss 2.PNG

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:00 pm

The Cross Staff method does work. It looks like you didn't quite do it that way. If you want to do it without that workaround, then go to HP Preferences and turn off the gliss feature called "Delay when possible". This is a global setting, so if there are places where you want the delay, then you're out of luck. There's a complex workaround to get both Delay and No delay, but I don't know if that is needed for your situation, so no sense in complicating things. See the attached Finale file.

Zuill

P.S.: If you have "Delay when possible" on when doing a gliss between the staves, the gliss actually happens, but it starts a few bars later and does it in really slow motion. Really slow!
Attachments
Harp Gliss Between Staves Using Cross Staff.jpg
Harp Gliss Between Staves Using Cross Staff.musx
(101.77 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Joshua,

I should have suggested cross-staff rather than the Note Mover tool. Instead, highlight the note to move to the upper staff with the Selection tool (draw a box around it) and press Alt+up-arrow.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:22 pm

The Tool is called the Note Mover Tool. However, for Cross Staff, you have to select that from the Note Mover Tool drop-down menu. So you did suggest the correct tool.

In my demo file, I entered the B in the space above the top line of the Bass Staff. I then dragged the note up with the Cross Staff feature of the Note Mover Tool. Then, in Simple Entry, I highlighted the note and pressed "Shift-up arrow" 2 times.

By the way, in my version of Finale (v26), the shortcut for the TG Tools Cross Staff feature is to hold Shift+Alt and then press the Up Arrow.

Zuill

joshuafaggion

Post by joshuafaggion » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 am

motet wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:08 pm
Joshua,

I should have suggested cross-staff rather than the Note Mover tool. Instead, highlight the note to move to the upper staff with the Selection tool (draw a box around it) and press Alt+up-arrow.
So with your suggestions, I did finally get it to play the gliss correctly, however the rests still show on the bottom staff and not the top staff, but that isn't too crazy. In the screenshot, you can see how the rests are showing for the bottom staff instead of the top staff. I used the cross staff feature in note mover.
Attachments
harp gliss 3.PNG

zuill

Post by zuill » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 am

Since rests don't move via the Cross Staff Tool, you can either hide them in the lower staff and put them in the upper staff manually (hide the first one), or move them up from the lower staff in Simple Entry by selecting the note and moving it with the up arrow key. However, if you respace the distance between the staves, the rests will end up in the wrong spot. I opt for the first method. You can then enter a whole rest in the lower staff in another layer.

Zuill
Attachments
Harp Gliss Between Staves Using Cross Staff 12-8.musx
(100.45 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Harp Gliss Between Staves Using Cross Staff 12-8.jpg