GPO5 & Keyswitching In Human Playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DavidGaines
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by DavidGaines » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Hello! I've been having trouble with getting the HP configuration that gets installed along with GPO5 to automatically trigger keyswitches. Right now the issue I'm having is that assigning a "Marcato" expression to the horn staff that I populated with "Project SAM French Horn Section KS" inside Aria doesn't produce keyswitching from Sustain to Marcato. I do have the Notation GPO5 set installed and not the Standard set, and I'm using the garden variety Marcato expression from the default list within Staff Expressions. I checked the pitches for that patch's keyswitches in the GPO 5 online manual (Sustain/Standard C0, Marcato D0, Staccato E0) and made sure that the corresponding MIDI notes (0, 2, 4) were indicated in the SAM Brass lines under Instrumental Techniques (see photo attached). There's no keyswitching when I play back the score - the horn stays with the default Sustains articulation.

I know that the Notation set of instruments for GPO5 uses keyswitches a couple of octaves below the piano range (I don't understand why that's necessary, but that's another topic) and I'm confused about how MIDI notes below C0 can be assigned to them. I'm sure there's something here I'm not grasping.

In any event, how do I get a Marcato expression to trigger this keyswitching? I'm hoping that solving this will enable me to get Human Playback keyswitching to work for other GPO 5 KS instruments as well.

Thanks!

Human Playback.jpg
-------
David Gaines, DMA | Composer
Finale 26.3.1, Windows 10, GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, NotePerformer 3.3, VSL SE + downloads
davidgainesmusic.com

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 pm

If all else fails, then you can create a keyswitch in an expression via a Data Dump. Have you tried that?

This page from the manual should work for GIfF and GPO5: http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... ata%20dump

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

DavidGaines

Post by DavidGaines » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:45 pm

If all else fails, then you can create a keyswitch in an expression via a Data Dump. Have you tried that?
I have. Actually, I used the data dump keyswitches that Vienna Symphonic Library created for this exact purpose for their VSL instruments, so I tried both the one for MIDI note D0 and the one for D1 (because VSL and Finale assign octave numbers to different octaves......yes, it's a mess) and neither one works.

BUT......I now see that there's a pitch-to-MIDI note table in the Finale manual thanks to your link, so I will look at that and see if creating new data dumps from scratch does the trick.

DG
-------
Finale 26.3.1, Windows 10, GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, NotePerformer 3.3, VSL SE + downloads
davidgainesmusic.com

DavidGaines

Post by DavidGaines » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:15 am

SOLVED!

I deleted the hidden "Marcato" expression I had assigned, tried the "KS D0" data dump expression again from the library that VSL provided, and that worked. HP now switches from the default Sustains articulation for this instrument to Marcato. Then when I assign the "KS C0" data dump expression to the whole note at the end of the phrase, it switches back to Sustains. Finally. :)

Also, I checked the Finale manual on a hunch and it turns out that the Human Playback Library doesn't recognize "Marcato," so yeah, for that and a bunch of other expressions that are loaded by default, you have to create a data dump for HP to trigger the keyswitching. This is disappointing that that is necessary, since the Marcato definition is loaded into Instrument Techniques inside Human Playback Preferences for these Project SAM instruments when you install GPO5, so I don't really understand that, but whatever....I got the keyswitching to work. Hopefully this will help someone else who is also having keyswitching problems with HP.

Thanks -
DG
-------
davidgainesmusic.com

BKWinkler
Finale Version: 2012c

Post by BKWinkler » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:36 pm

The use and creation of key switches is one of the most poorly documented features of GPO5, both by Garritan and by Finale. After a frustrating couple of days I finally realized that (at least as of Finale 2012) keyswitches do not function if you use the "spacebar+click" method of initiating the playback. You must use the "play" button in the Playback controls. Evidently Finale must "chase" the keyswitches from the beginning of the piece, and only does this with the Playback controls.

BKW