how do I change from standard to jazz playback midscore

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

herewego
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by herewego » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:27 pm

I want to start a piece with a standard playback, and then switch to a swing or jazz playback. I can't seem to make that happen without the whole piece changing from the start.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:33 pm

Use an expression (Playback -> Type -> Swing / select a value) to activate the swing feel. And another one if you need to deactivate it.
You may have to check the score list of the expression category and (yes, it is weird), select all parts for the playback to swing in all staves.
Last edited by michelp on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 pm

It can be done with an Expression. If you are using an Expression in the Tempo marks category, you'll need to modify the Score List to have each part selected (on 2 staff instruments that share a channel, then you'll only need to select the top staff of the 2). Set the swing value to what you want. You can then change back using an expression that sets the swing value to 0.

Zuill

P.S.: michelp beat me to it. I'm not sure, as it was a long time ago, but it might have been me that discovered the workaround. Maybe michelp did and I just have a bad memory.

P.P.S: This quick demo file shows how to do it. This only changes from straight to swing playback, but other aspects of the HP Jazz settings are not duplicated. If you need that, that is a bit more complicated.
Attachments
Straight to Swing and Back.musx
(102.3 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."