Changing The Initial Start Tempo

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

chrisfinale2012
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi ,
I Started From Scratch - Made A New Template And Chose A Tempo ... I've made No changes in the score to change that initial Tempo ...
Yet, when I change the playback tempo, it still always plays back at the initial tempo ...
Wazz-Upp-Widdat ??!!???!!!

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 pm

how about posting the file in question?

you might be altering the wrong information when trying to change your tempo.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

chrisfinale2012

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:16 pm

I worked for an HVAC/R Company called RE MICHEL a few years ago ... Any Connection ?
I've had all sorts of playback issues since I upgraded to the 2020 version ... I even reinstalled the whole Aria Player - Garritan & Finale itself , but all the problems are built in ... I've watched every video and read every google search and tried everything I saw , but the damn tempo remains where it was set when I initially typed it in on the setup ... Finale has come a long way from when I first started using it in 2012 ... but they've got way way too many constantly recurring issues from all that I've read from users ........... Just the HP Preferences alone has all sorts of troubles with many users ... Myself included ... As you progress and learn more , you find your way into new problems - Search them out - That's when you Find out that Everyone has the same problem .... I'm just venting my frustrations ... I'll go away now ... I need my happy place ...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:42 am

Also, how are you starting playback: with the controls, or with the spacebar?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

chrisfinale2012

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:34 pm

I fixed it - Simple & Easy. Incredibly Stupid that Finale Has the problem & This was the fix .... but whatever ... It's fixed.
Thank you.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:37 pm

chrisfinale2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:34 pm
I fixed it - Simple & Easy. Incredibly Stupid that Finale Has the problem & This was the fix .... but whatever ... It's fixed.
Thank you.
Maybe share with us the nature of the incredibly stupid Finale problem and what the solution was?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

chrisfinale2012

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Well Ok Then ...
The Stupid part of Finale & my main beef with Finale is the user .... ME ....
The way that I fixed it was simple.... Like Me ...
When I couldn't make the Tempo Metronome Marking play back at the typed in tempo, All I did was delete the Tempo Marking on the left side of the score, right above the first measure where it places it by default ... And BOOM , all was well again... Whatever tempo I type in, it plays back at now...
I was going to post my miracle fix , but I'm under the impression that Most of the users here are experts ...
My other miracle fix was when the Tempo sped up and slowed down randomly all By Itself ... All I did to fix it was make the human Playback "None" ... Boom, All Fixed ... Kinda *** that it gets to the point where you can't use some features though ...
Now I'm having an issue with a horn line, after adding some articulations to it, it now dropped down a fifth !!!! And it's also not playing in tune, it's flat by around 20 cents - Plus, it's not playing the right accidentals ... not following the sharps & flats written in... This just happened all of a sudden for no "apparent" reason ... Not to me anyway - 2 hours of work, and in the end, I couldn't SAVE any of it and had to revert back to the original and start over again ... Awwww... Poor Baby ... Yeah, I Know ... - These things don't happen to the Experts and it's all because of User Error by the amateurs ... True ... But still , Extremely Frustrating Not knowing what I did wrong...

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:00 pm

If you had posted your file as someone originally suggested I'm sure someone on this forum probably could have helped you.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:07 pm

A tempo marking in the score trumps what you may put in the playback controls. That's just how it works, but it can be confusing. It would be a nice feature if there were an option to overrule the tempo markings with the playback controls.

The Human Playback tempo variations are probably in response to rit., accel., and the like; it also slows down at fermatas. You can control some of this in the Human Playback options.

If you still have the Horn problem and want to post your file, someone can take a look at it.

chrisfinale2012

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm sure there are experts on here that would be able to help on any issue ... I couldn't post the file publicly but I already went back in and did everything over again .... I never knew that if you choose to place the Tempo marking in the initial layout , you lose the capability to change the playback tempo .......... Wouldn't you want it to print out on the sheet music instead of hiding it inside midi data ? Sorry Finale , That's just plain Stupid... As for the piece that was slowing down and speeding up at random places in the score - There weren't any Markings ... rit ... accel .... None ......... It was the Human Playback acting up and from what I've read , and seen on You Tube, it's happened to 99 percent of us all ........ The Ole HP Strikes again ....... They need to work on that too .....
I'm sure I'll be on here soon enough, begging for answers ... Hopefully though , I've helped someone out there with these same problems, by providing information on the fixes .

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:21 pm

You can create tempo markings like this where it will play back at the tempo shown, so it's not as stupid as you think. Nothing to do with MIDI data.
Attachments
0751.png
0751.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
0750.png
0750.png (8.92 KiB) Viewed 3803 times

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:18 pm

chrisfinale2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:05 pm
I Hopefully though , I've helped someone out there with these same problems, by providing information on the fixes .
The "problems" you describe don't seem to be problems as much as issues deriving from your lack of understanding of how the software works. As Motet stated, if you insert a tempo marking the program will play at that tempo. If you use Human Playback, inserting a tempo change expression will alter the tempo accordingly. In the Human Playback Preferences dialogue box there is a "randomize tempo variation" checkbox, which shouldn't be checked if you want strict timing from one performance to the next. If you elect not to use HP you can insert custom text expressions to alter the tempo or use the midi tool.

chrisfinale2012

Post by chrisfinale2012 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 pm

Exactly ... " issues deriving from your lack of understanding of how the software works " How can I deny that - I'm Definitely Not a Super User - I'm just a part timer ... Sometimes ... At Best ... I've messed up so many things that I've had to go back and start over - Messed the score up So Bad, ( Badly ?? ) that it just stopped playing back - The timing follower line thingy wouldn't even move .. ... So , with that in mind , I'm Very gun shy about clicking this & that to see what will happen ... But reading the manual ?? It seems to me that they just don't explain things as completely as they could/should - The starting points of an issue ... Trying to look it up in the manual - They don't explain EXACTLY how to Get To That Spot ... They say You can do this & that ... But they do NOT Explain EXACTLY where those clicks Need to take place... They say, Go HERE , but there is no HERE ... Or it now looks different... So many versions and upgrades and updates, you're never sure which Version they're talking about...Especially on you tube videos - I know that 98 percent of my problems ( other than a lack of common sense & patience ) is that I just don't use this enough... Every time I Do use it, I learn something, that's for sure, but when issues arise ... I can't seem to find out what caused it or how to manage it, in a Complete Comprehensive Answer and sometimes, that answer is , " It's Glitchy " ... " Yeah, It Sometimes Does That " ... " It's Inconsistent " ... And those answers make me give up trying to get better at it by using it more... But I'm the impatient type , so that's on me... All that being said , this is where you guys calm me down & impart wisdom and peace upon my frazzled nerves - I Appreciate Every Word - Totally & Absolutely The Snarky Remarks Too ... Insults & Negativity Build Character - but more importantly, they're the tools that the smart ones use against their own problems to turn them around, face them, and conquer them. So, I Love It - Lemmee Have It !! I'm about to post another problem/issue I'm having with the mixer/faders... Should be interesting... Thank You Again...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:01 pm

Please use punctuation correctly. Some of us older folk have trouble with "stream of consciousness" writing, and just pass over the post.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society