How do I make unisono passages sound balanced?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

perotinus1983
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by perotinus1983 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi, I'm quite new to Finale so sorry if this is a dumb question or on the wrong board.

I wrote an arrangement for TTBB choir in which there are several primes and unisono passages. On playback, they sound ridiculously loud. Is there a way to avoid this?

For example, in the attached snip, "The trumpet" is unisono while on "sounds" is a chord. So the first three notes f-a-c sounds louder because there's four voices singing the same notes, then "sounds" sounds much softer as each voice has their own note.

I prefer differently, but more importantly I'd like to make a practise .mus file (my singers use Finale Reader 2012) or extract a midi in which the sound is stable throughout the whole.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
Snip - steal away.JPG

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:14 pm

There is no automatic way to do that.

When I make tracks for singers, I use the mixer to emphasize the primary part and pan it to one side, while the other three parts are at a lower volume, and panned to the other.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

perotinus1983
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by perotinus1983 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Thanks miker. I do likewise, and then it doesn’t matter, but when exporting a file that isn’t specific to a part, or a file where all but one part are audible - to have them singing along without hearing their own part, the fanatics they are - the problem still occurs. It’s not the end of the world, but still it’s not aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for your response

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:10 pm

Agreed. But I don't think there is a solution, other than applying dynamics to each part for balance.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society