When HP+GPO5 seem inadequate

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by tss-music » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:19 am

Dear Forum,

I need to produce a digital performance of a 15-minute piece for large orchestra in the next few months. I’m a long-time user of Finale’s notation capabilities but a relative novice to Human Playback. I bought GPO5, which is adequate for a lot of things, but the more I work on this piece the more I’m feeling that either HP+GPO5 aren’t up to the task, or I really don’t understand how to use them right.

Among the things that are frustrating me:
  • Many GPO5 instruments sound amateurish. Flutes have a lot of air noise, brass is nasal. Not rounded, professional sounds.
  • I don’t have enough control on subtle attacks and releases, especially in winds. No matter how many articulations and hairpins I write in, ultimately every note begins and ends like a brick. HP sometimes seems to be working against me, forcing phrasing that I don’t want.
  • Strings are perpetually behind the beat relative to winds and percussion. (I’ve seen this comment elsewhere in the Forum.)
  • Percussion is timid. (Seen this one too.) Can’t get a true fortissimo, and the largest crash cymbals sound about 8” in diameter.
  • Instruments that should ring for a good long time (e.g., glockenspiel, celesta, triangle, vibraphone, harp) don’t.
There are lots more, but you get the idea: I need a better orchestra. My question is, where should I be putting my effort? Learning the arcana of Finale HP? Spending money on a better sound library? Exporting from Finale to a DAW (and if so which one)? Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom