Choral sounds and Garritan Orchestra

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jlanier2001

Post by jlanier2001 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:41 am

I'm working on a piece for chorus and orchestra. I would love to use the Garritan sounds but it seems there are no choral sounds with GPO and I cannot combine midi and GPO in the same piece. Is there any suggestion other than just go straight midi for my score? Thanks.

Janet

Delaric

Post by Delaric » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:15 pm

I have been thinking how interesting it would be to engineer a vocal-synthesis program like GPO, and it would certainly be a huge challenge with the range of noises we can make with our mouths, but imagine how useful it would be!

As for your situation, I assign the voices to similar sounding instruments like flute and maybe clarinet for the Sop. and Alto respectively and then Tenor and Bass voice to F Horn and Trombone for instance. It makes it all sound like an instrumental piece, so you have to imagine the words.

Another possible solution if you're a bit more savvy or have some friends that do a little sound engineering is to export the choral parts only from Finale in midi form, then either play them at the same time in another program while playing the orchestra in Finale (a rather rough solution) or record the GPO sounds through your sound card if it is capable of doing so, and then mix both the recorded GPO and the exported MIDI chorus in an audio-editing program into one file. Basically a lot of tedium for one playback, but might be useful for a presentational rendering.