Opinions about Note Performer 3?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:02 am

Note Performer was recommended to me by a longtime user of both Finale and "the other guys" and he said it's a vast improvement. I was wondering if any of you had experience with it/opinions before I make the purchase. Is there any downside/trade-off vs. Garritan? I'm aware they have a 3-day trial but it doesn't permit exporting audio, so that removes a major functionality for me. I'd rather just purchase it. Any feedback appreciated.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:42 pm

it's incredibly inexpensive.
unlike the Garritan instruments, it IS all synthetic, but the quality of that synthesis is amazing.
SOME instruments are a tiny bit less convincing but they are very few.
it works like a charm with Finale. often responding better to HumanPlayback than the Garritan instruments

I'd suggest that it really depends on the type of music you need playback for.

solo strings sound, well, terrible. however, so do the Garritan solo strings.

brass are punchier and more responsive. they sound "bigger" and more real.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. If there is an instrument or two that are better with Garritan can you default to that instrument instead? Pick and choose?
Last edited by bj nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm

you can pick and choose, but I've found the Garritan instruments to be a bit finicky when combined with NP3.

if ever you want to hear a sample recording, let me know. mine will be the more standard symphonic fare.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Michael, I would love to hear it. I've been a jazz guy my whole life, but I am learning to write chamber music and work with strings which is new to me. I'd sure like to at least moderately improve my playback quality, but not ready to spend a ton of money to get top of the line sampling etc. Or spend a lot of time learning a DAW, and then utilizing it, when my main purpose is to listen and critique my own work, as well as sending working copies to a couple of people on a regular basis.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:47 pm

I've been using NotePerformer for about a year or so, and I like it a lot. However, I prefer the GPO5 Basic Orchestral Percussion sounds, so I use both NotePerformer and GPO5 percussion together. Setting up the two libraries together has so far worked smoothly for me.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:07 pm

That's great to hear, not using percussion at this time but it's good to know. You're saying you're not having difficulty switching out percussion sounds, but the previous response was that there can be issues. Maybe it's dependent on the instruments used.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:44 am

You're saying you're not having difficulty switching out percussion sounds, but the previous response was that there can be issues. Maybe it's dependent on the instruments used.
I have few problems changing percussion sounds among NotePerformer, GPO5, and COMB2. I make these changes in Score Manager, usually in different channels. I may have some pieces in which NotePerformer and GPO5 percussion instruments share the same channel but are assigned to different layers, but I'd have to go back and look to confirm this use, which I can't do at the moment.

The problems that I encounter involve my rushing to make these assignments, and I sometimes forget a step in the process or transpose steps. Then Score Manager assigns libraries, instruments, and channels randomly. When I keep trying for what I want, I can usually get my assignments to stick. Now that I think of it, layer 2 has always given me the most problems, so when I have choices, I skip layer 2 and work with layers 1, 3, and 4.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:36 am

Noteperformer is excellent at what is does, but when it doesn't do what you need, there are no controls to adjust. I've just starting using it, after testing the demo a bit. The strings are much more musical than GPO, seemingly with intelligent phrasing; though if you haven't got slurs everywhere it can be slightly disjointed.

Like others here, I'm using it in conjunction with GPO/ARIA. For the music that I write, some GPO solo Wind and Brass can be better; and GPO Harpsichord, Piano and Organs are matchless. I've also created some custom instruments for ARIA (Cellos and Basses 8va together, better Choirs) that I still use.

GPO is still very good, but to get the best out of it requires study and effort. NP 'just works', to coin a phrase. Both of them are the only options below several hundred of your currency. One other thing is NP's favour is that it's being actively developed, improved, and supported....

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:06 pm

I downloaded NP3 for the trial version but it's problematic: some of the sounds, like flute, are just great, but overall it just sounds a little "weird," with heavy reverb. I checked out NP3's page with instructions, and followed instructions (I think) and set sound map priority to NP3 first, reassigned playback sounds, etc, but they say you can access their mixer from MIDI-vst banks and effects, and that does not give me the mixer, just the usual window. Also, I can't seem to get the dynamics even close to what they should be: for example I have a quiet piano thing behind a flute, and I had to lower the mixer level (garritan mixer) way down, and use pppp, which is silly.

I sort of thought the idea of NP3 was it "just works," but it isn't working for me. (Could it be that I'm under-powered? This is my older desktop with i3 processor.....)

Any advice appreciated; I'm a newbie with this stuff. I've looked all over YouTube and can't find a simple video such as "using NP3 with Finale," or anything else to help me start using it and understanding it. Any ideas? I just want to learn the basics and video works best for me.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pm

HP preferences have to be those for NotePerformer3. In "Playback settings" / "HP Preferences", make sure that you DO have NotePerformer in the list and that there is a check mark next to its name to indicate it is active.

You have to "reassign playback sounds" from the MIDI/Audio menu, so that the NP3 instruments are loaded.

Make sure that there is no reverb plugin active while using NP3 (when you open the "VST Banks and Effects" in the MIDI/Audion menu).

When you do open the VST window, click on the VST Instrument bank that corresponds to the instruments you've loaded. (basically, it starts loading instruments at Bank 1, then once you've reached 16 instruments it loads them into Bank 2, etc...)

There should be a little pencil icon to the right of the pull-down marked NotePerformer. Clicking on this will access the interface that controls those instruments. At the top right of that window there are two circular knobby things, one marked "Volume" the other "Reverb". This is where you adjust the reverb.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks very much for this. I see from your directions how to access the mp3 mixer now. Unfortunately, np3 apparently froze my whole system--this is Windows 10 - - and it took a while, going into safe mode and uninstalling np3, multiple restarts, etc, now I'm back to normal. I'm not going to use it on this desktop, I'm going to try it on the laptop instead in a little while--much newer machine- and I will report back. Very strange. By the way I noticed one thing when I did playback with np3: it accurately plays back articulations, whereas I realize before it didn't. For example I would have a section not slurred and Garrettan with HP would play it back sort of close to what I wanted, So I sort of got lazy..... but with NP3 it rigidly observes the articulations. Which is great! That is what I want! Anyway let's see what happens with the laptop.

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2

Post by blueshift » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:55 pm

I wanted to respond to the original post - what are the tradeoffs. And it will come down to how much finish you want on your recording. Note Performer uses AI and does an absolutely remarkable job out of the box. First blush listening is persuasive, and for a fire-and-forget user, which will be a high percentage of users, it's exemplary. For a realistic, finished performance though, it won't touch VST output polished in a DAW - and that's because human intelligence is how music is performed, and the DAW allows the arranger/composer/engineer to apply human intelligence to each and every part. Of course, you have to do every virtual player's thinking for them (regardless how good Finale's AI known as human playback is), but this is the opposite of fire and forget - you are looking at a considerable investment of time and energy. Even for this end use, Note Performer would still serve as a very convincing proof.

In general, AI can 'create' or record in styles and vernaculars that already exist - but AI will never be better than an infinite number of monkeys with keyboards at producing a Shakespeare Hamlet or a Bach Toccata and Fugue in Dm. But artificial 'inteligence' definitely scales closer to infinity than we've gotten so far, and the sentient humans working on it are a considerable upgrade over primates.
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / KONTAKT / stray sfz
Cubase / Studio One

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 pm

I wanted to check in and thank everyone for the responses. So I have some answers now, after talking briefly with NP3 tech support. I checked with them about my system requirements and they said I have just enough. So occasionally on this desktop it'll sound pretty good, but overall it's weak and rough. I tried it on my laptop and everything immediately sounded way better. A world of difference.

So there you go, using the minimum system required isn't enough. I've been putting off getting a new desktop for a long time, since my 8-year-old machine basically works fine for most of the stuff I use, but it will not cut it for NP3 usage. I much prefer my desktop setup for music work, but I have a decision to make that no one can help me with. I was planning on putting it off and spending some money to get really top-notch sampled sounds and all that stuff, along with a new desktop, so I'll just have to see when that makes sense.

ewindels
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by ewindels » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:45 am

I love it tremendously. It is not great for non-"classical" stuff: the drum kit in particular is woeful, the bass drum thwacks away like Rossini. As with Garritan, the guitar and similar instruments are problematic. But if you're looking for a basic, easy first listening pass of something without a ton of alteration in a DAW, it's head and shoulders above anything else.
Windows 10 Finale 2025 Noteperformer 3