HELP! SOS! How to operate Garritan with Mod Wheel

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Deacon Don
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Deacon Don » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:43 pm

I don't get it.

I have JABB. I can't get the articulations and jazz techniques to work as they to
in the samples. Meaning, I can't get them to sound any different than the old
ones before JABB.

I want to know how to work the plunger, falls, scoops, doits and others so they
sound authentic.

I've been told over and over, including the manuals, to use the modulation wheel
but nobody, includng the manuals, are unable to tell me how to do it.

Oh! And how to make those really cool expressions including hairpins, dims, rits,
and anything else.

I thought this would be plug and play. I remember how much better the Garritan
Sounds were but had no idea they needed to be tweaked.

OY!

Any help is already greatly appreciated.

Don
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jetcopy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 am

When using Finale, Human Playback takes the notation and makes it work with Garritan. (for the most part)

The mod wheel is CC# 1. When you put dynamics in your score, Finale will play your dynamics by using CC#1. (modwheel) So that means that you can't put a single dynamic in a piece of music and expect it to sound real. You need to enter a lot of dynamics. You also enter hairpin crescendoes and decrescendos.

The plunger I think is a keyswitch. The falls, doits, scoops are all controlled by different CC numbers. You can use Finale's midi tool to edit these or create expressions with the CC controls as the playback parameter.

It's all in the manual. If I remember correctly it starts on page 82 and continues for several pages.

If you were using a DAW then you would be entering the modwheel information directly instead of having Human Playback do it.

Deacon Don

Post by Deacon Don » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:25 am

Jetcopy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 am
When using Finale, Human Playback takes the notation and makes it work with
Garritan. (for the most part)
All I been able to get is "for the most part".
Jetcopy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 am
The mod wheel is CC# 1. When you put dynamics in your score, Finale will play
your dynamics by using CC#1. (modwheel) So that means that you can't put a single
dynamic in a piece of music and expect it to sound real. You need to enter a lot of
dynamics. You also enter hairpin crescendoes and decrescendos.
Where do I put the keyswitch codes so I can use the mod wheel for anything
other than pitch bend?

I guess I need a step by step process because I honestly don't see how to work this.

Can you do that for me? Pick an expression or hair pin and walk me through it.

Don
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10

Jetcopy

Post by Jetcopy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:26 pm

Are you using Finale with JABB?

Deacon Don

Post by Deacon Don » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Jetcopy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:26 pm
Are you using Finale with JABB?
Yes. At least I'm trying to.
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10

Jetcopy

Post by Jetcopy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:13 am

Good to hear that.

As I posted before, Finale's Human Playback converts the dynamics and hairpins in your score into modwheel data. You don't need to control the modwheel yourself. As long as you put dynamics and hairpins in your score, Finale converts that to modwheel data automatically.

As far as other effects like falloffs, doitd, plunger, these are controlled by different CC numbers. In the JABB manual start reading on page 82 thru 95. All of these effects are detailed how to use them.

Plunger for example, on page 87 it mentions that one trumpet and one trombone sample has a plunger. It also says that the open and close effect is controlled by CC#16. So you load this plunger instrument into your score. And wherever you want the open & close effect you would alter the CC#16 data with either the midi tool or with an expression. Personally I would create an expression, in the playback tab of that expression, go to the pulldown menu and choose controller. in the next pulldown menu that appears, choose #16. Now where it says value, leave it at "0". Click okay.

Now create another plunger expression, do everything again to this new expression, except the last step. For value enter "127". Click ok.

Midi tools have a numerical value from 0 to 127. The zero value should turn the effect off and the 127 should turn the effect on.

Now assign one of these expressions to a note, and select the other expression to another note. Play it back and see what it does. This is the same approach you need to do on the other effects.

Is it a pain in the butt, yep. Is it worth the effort, not in my opinion. When JABB first came out I played with a lot of this stuff. I didn't like the workflow at all. I don't use JABB any longer.

Good luck.

FWIW,

Deacon Don

Post by Deacon Don » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Jetcopy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:13 am
Good to hear that.

Is it a pain in the butt, yep. Is it worth the effort, not in my opinion. When JABB first came out I
played with a lot of this stuff. I didn't like the workflow at all. I don't use JABB any longer.

Good luck.
Thank you for all your help. I'm going to digest this the best I can. One would think that an avid
user would have created some instructional videos.
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10