Audacity help needed

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:34 pm

So I'm going nuts, here. I have a score broken into 7 staves: Solo, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass, and Piano. On playback, each part works as it should, when I use the mixer to emphasize and pan one part against the others. Then, I export each part as an MP3, and all is good. Usually.

On this particular piece, for some reason, I cannot get the tenor part to export as tenor. When I play it back, it's the alto line.

I have tried:

Clearing MIDI data.
Exporting the score as XML, and importing.
Copying the tenor line to a scratch score (where it played and exported correctly,) deleting it from the original, and pasting it back in.
Changed the channel, even though it was a different channel from the alto in the original.

I'm attaching the file. But in the meantime, since Finale playback is correct, can anyone give me instructions on recording directly to Audacity? I tried starting Audacity recording, and then Finale playback, but nothing was received. I'm sure it's a matter of setting the Audacity input source correctly, but damme if I can figure out what or where to look for it.

Many thanks.
Attachments
Big Yellow Taxi.musx
(180.96 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:55 pm

miker wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:34 pm
So I'm going nuts, here. I have a score broken into 7 staves: Solo, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass, and Piano. On playback, each part works as it should, when I use the mixer to emphasize and pan one part against the others. Then, I export each part as an MP3, and all is good. Usually.

On this particular piece, for some reason, I cannot get the tenor part to export as tenor. When I play it back, it's the alto line.

I have tried:

Clearing MIDI data.
Exporting the score as XML, and importing.
Copying the tenor line to a scratch score (where it played and exported correctly,) deleting it from the original, and pasting it back in.
Changed the channel, even though it was a different channel from the alto in the original.

I'm attaching the file. But in the meantime, since Finale playback is correct, can anyone give me instructions on recording directly to Audacity? I tried starting Audacity recording, and then Finale playback, but nothing was received. I'm sure it's a matter of setting the Audacity input source correctly, but damme if I can figure out what or where to look for it.

Many thanks.
I get the tenor part when selecting that in Studio View selecting Solo. Not sure what's happening when you do it. When I exported mp3 from the Linked part, it also worked. However, it was slower. I'm not sure why. [Edit: I figured this out--it has to do with the Score List. When I selected all the staves for parts, it works properly. This is due to a longstanding bug.]

One word of warning: if you are combining the parts in Audacity, because you are using HP, each part might have slight tempo variations, as that's what HP does. Not sure if you got that, but you might. That's why I apply HP to the file first (MIDI Tool), and turn HP off. The plugin prompts you for that anyway.

As far as recording directly from Finale to Audacity, someone with a Mac will have to help with that. Windows is entirely different.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

miker

Post by miker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 pm

Thanks, Zuill. I’m not using linked parts. I have to have all parts there to play behind the selected track. I do that in the Mixer.

Would you try this, please? Set up the mixer with all volumes at 50, except for the tenor. Set the tenor to 127, and pan right. Pan the others, left.

Export > Audio File > MP3. Play it back, and see if the tenor is emphasized.

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:43 am

Yes. It is.

Zuill

miker

Post by miker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:05 am

Dang.

I’ll keep fighting...
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:20 am

Do you get the same result when you make the settings in the Score Manager or in Studio View?

Zuill

miker

Post by miker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 am

I haven’t tried studio view, but the settings in Score Manager agreed with the ones I had on the mixer.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:22 am

Well, you know the usual steps: Reboot, Recreate Preferences, Send the file to Support for their evaluation.

Since I'm on Windows, maybe someone on Mac can test the file for you. Possibly it's a Mac only issue. Have you tried exporting to whatever the Mac form of wav is (aiff?). Also, is this problem with all files?

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:13 pm

I keep my tmp files from Finale 26 in a separate folder. I check that folder several times a day to clean it out, to avoid any corruption issues. After opening your file and just playing around with playback for just a few moments, and then closing it, I check that folder. The longer i work with your file, the more tmp files are left behind.

Now, I don't know that I can explain that, but I have been working lately on some very complex files that don't leave any tmp files behind. So, my inquisitive mind starts to ask why. I can't say, but maybe the issue you are having has something to do with issues behind the scenes in this file that might be to blame. maybe there's some corruption. Is this file based on a custom template that you use for multiple projects?

Zuill

P.S.: Aha. I just checked your file and see that you imported this through XML. Maybe you scanned and converted this file? I have seen corruption in files that have been imported via XML. Just a thought.

miker

Post by miker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:27 pm

It's only this file, as far as I can tell. I scanned it into SmartScore, and XMLed it to Finale.

As I said, it plays back correctly in Finale. It's only on the export that it goes astray.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Okay. I revised your file by reassigning sounds and then resetting the voices to piano. See how this file exports the tenor part.

Zuill
Attachments
Big Yellow Taxi Revised.musx
(180.89 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

miker

Post by miker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:58 pm

I’ll try it right after breakfast! Thanks.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

miker

Post by miker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:45 pm

Zuill, it worked perfectly. Many thanks.

Now, of course, the question is, why? I went to my original, Reassigned Instruments, set them back to the instruments I wanted, and it still exported as the Alto.

I've sent it in, and we'll see what support says. Eventually...
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:55 am

I also had the pan and volume set to Alto after reassign. I then manually changed those to what you originally had, with tenor at 127 and panned opposite all the others. I resaved, reopened, tried reassign, and the settings stuck this time. I think there was legacy data from the scan/XML import. If you want to post your modified file here, after the changes you made, I'll retest it too.

Zuill

miker

Post by miker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:56 am

Thanks, but no. I think we’ve spent enough time on it!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura