Tempo changes within a cadenza

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jvdbeemt
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by jvdbeemt » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm

Dear Finale users

In a cadenza I tried to vary the tempo (rit., accel.), but these changes were not reproduced by playback. Even the ritardando in the measure before the cadenza was ignored.

I tried to position or align the expressions, I split the bar with the plug-in, wrote the cadenza in 3 separate bars, threw away the INI-files from the program menu, nothing worked.

In the attached file bars 1-6 and 12-18 prove that Finale's tempo alterations work. In bar 8 and 9 however they don't.

I hope somebody can solve this problem.

Kind regards,
John
Attachments
Cadenza 1.musx
(108.34 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Human Playback is not perfect. Sometimes certain time signatures disrupt things. At your Moderato, I believe, it is compound time, but you are using tempo set to quarter as the pulse, rather than dotted quarter. However, that doesn't solve much, if any, by changing that. The 20/4 might have it's own issues when it comes to HP.

I used the MIDI Tool to hardwire some of the tempo data that was overlooked by HP. I actually used the Apply HP Data, selecting tempo only, to apply some of that data. If you have preferences set to Incorporate MIDI Tempo Data, then it should work to hear those MIDI Tool adjustments. That Data can be fine tuned if needed.

Zuill
Attachments
Cadenza 1 Revised 2.musx
(109.83 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."