Need to reduce the reverb added to castanets

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:42 pm

I would like to eliminate or reduce the insane amount of reverb that Garritan adds to its castanets. For this instrument, none of the settings in ARIA player work for me. Playback of the castanets sound like they are played in a cathedral. Any ideas I can try?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 am

Without seeing the file we don't know which effect you have chosen. Also, what is the effects send level for the castanets channel?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm

In ARIA Player, I turned the effects level off and also to maximum, in both the Convolution and Ambience section. The amount of reverb seems unchanged. Attenuating "Size" in the Reverb panel also did not effect the sound in playback. I use the keyboard in ARIA's GUI to audit changes tried. If I am not mistaken, the reverb is embedded in the soundfont (hopefully not). Attached is my document.

Another issue that has plagued me since v2010 is slowing of tempo when adding a repeat mark. If I disable Human Playback or delete the repeat mark, the tempo in played back correctly. But then tremelos, fermatas ,hairpins become nonfunctional. In the last example in the attached document, notice the tempo slows from 164 BPM to 120 BPM.

MakeMusic issued me a ticket a week ago; but to date, no response. It would help me to know if the problems described here are fixable or something we must accept as part of Finale's shortcomings.
Attachments
Finale Castanets Samples.musx
(132.5 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:24 am

It seems the reverb you're hearing is part of the sample.

As far as the tempo change problem, see what happens in your file that I revised (attached). Since I don't have your version of Aria, I'm not sure my resave of the file will play for you. If not, let me know and I'll tell you how I fixed the tempo change problem.

Zuill
Attachments
Finale Castanets Samples Revised.musx
(132.55 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:58 pm

You are amazing!

The integrity of the tempo is not vitiated by the repeat mark. I wish MakeMusic had people like you on their team...but then that would negate the need for support forums. So how did you solve the problem?

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Well, there have been issues over the years with Score Lists. Often, playback instructions only apply to the top staff when an expression is in a category that uses a Score List that has Top Staff selected for Score and Parts, but no individual staff for Parts. I didn't even think this would matter since you only have one staff. I modified the Score List to include not only Top Staff for Parts, but the Staff itself for Parts. This is a trick for the aforementioned situation with more than one staff. In your file, it also seemed to cure the problem. Why a repeat sign triggers misbehavior I can't say. However, once that staff was added in the Score List (Score List 1) used for the q=164 BPM Category (Tempo Marks), it stopped the slowdown. Go figure.

By the way, MakeMusic knows about the workaround with the Score List because I discovered it, and then I informed them about it. I guess they figured with a "workaround", no need to fix any code errors.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Follow-up. I just tested moving the 164 BPM expression to the Misc. Category and that also cured the problem. The reason it does is that the Score List is not used. So, that Score List bug is avoided.

Zuill

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Who would have thought that a solo staff system would need to be added to the score list? No question that MakeMusic has some serious management problems.

Both methods worked for me. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! I think you are gifted.