Garritan Playback via Audio Units

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

manabholz
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by manabholz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 am

I'm using a macbook air (M1).

Of COURSE I want to use the Garritan instruments for playback. HOWEVER:

1. I can only assign Garritan instruments in "Play Finale Through Audio Units."
2. When I mash the play button in the playback controls window, I get ZERO sound. The green tracking bar progresses, so obviously Finale THINKS it is playing back the garritan instrument sounds, but it is NOT.
3. The only way I can achieve ANY playback is by using the "Play Finale through MIDI" option (which is strange, because I'm using my internal speakers, not an external MIDI device), and then it will ONLY use those HORRIBLE "Smartmusic Softsynth" sounds from the 1980s.

Help! I've been using finale for over 20 years and have often been a frustrated user, but never like this!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Try clicking Reapply Playback Sounds as one step. Another is to manually assign the sounds in the Audio Units window. Also, see what the Score Manager has in the Instrument List.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm

manabholz wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 am
I'm using a macbook air (M1).
"We are continuing our testing with the production models of Apple’s M1 based computers. At this time, we do not recommend using Finale with these computers and do not consider these within our current system requirements. While Apple’s Rosetta 2 is showing promising results, more testing needs to be done."

https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale ... s-big-sur/

I would test by launching the standalone ARIA Player.app, and see if you can get some sound of it. That will confirm whether the ARIA binaries run under emulation. Then see if the same interface in the Audio Unit can play some sound on its little keyboard.

objectguru
Finale Version: 27

Post by objectguru » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Just got a new Mac Mini (M1) and of course I'm wondering if Finale will work on it. I's been four months since the last announcement. Has there been any progress? :?:

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:41 am

There doesn't seem to be any official up-date on this (that I can find).

If you do try, please let us know how it goes…
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:24 pm

objectguru wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 pm
It's been four months since the last announcement. Has there been any progress? :?:
You've kind of answered your own question there! :lol:

MM haven't updated their December post about Big Sur / new M1 Macs. The last update to the app itself was June 2020 -- getting on for a year. Official replies on the MM "Community" forum have also been non-existent.

I know that times are tough and strange, but some kind of 'presence' should be possible while working from home, if not actual software development.

objectguru

Post by objectguru » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Okay, I installed Finale and Garritan on my Mac Mini (M1) and tested a few scores. Everything working fine so far. :)

Just viewing and playing big band scores - no editing yet... playback seems fine.

DScheiber

Post by DScheiber » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I just spent two days fighting with this. Everything LOOKED like it was working, but there was no sound. I sent three tickets to Finale Support.

It turns out, the OUTPUT DEVICE was wrong. Go to MIDI/Audio>Device Setup>Audio Setup. Make sure your output device is correct.

Fixed the problem right away. I hope this helps someone else avoid the headache I just had.