Harp harmonics playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tubaman24680
Finale Version: FINALE 26 WITH Notep
Operating System: Windows

Post by Tubaman24680 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:47 pm

Hey all.
I'm brand new to this group and having issues with my newly installed Garritan Harps library.
First, the sound just stops after a few minutes and the only way to get it back up is in Score Manager in which I set the harp device to none and then reload Finale Harps. ...then wash rinse and repeat.
Second, there are 2 brief sections in which I have the harp scored with harmonics...the first plays back perfectly. The second only plays the notes up the octave but without the tone change associated with harmonics.
Overall the program sounds really good but these 2 issues are a problem.
Any advice? I'm on Windows 10, Finale26 with Noteperformer for the rest of the Orchestra (the harp part us the only part using Garritan)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Not sure why the harmonics work once, then not at all. Can you post a sample file showing this behavior. You might need to create an expression using a data dump keyswitch to get the harmonics.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 pm

I created a file to show that the Articulation for harmonics doesn't seem to trigger the proper sound on the Garritan KS Harp without also applying the Keyswitch manually. This is for the KS Harp in the GIfF set that is bundled with Finale.

Zuill

P.S.: I see in the HP Preferences that Keyswitch 2 is used for Harp harmonics, which is what I used, but Keyswitch 4 is used for GPO harp. I'm not sure why they would have the GIfF Harp and the GPO Harp use a different Keyswitch. So, if you want to look at my "With Keyswitch" Expression, you will see 2 is the chosen Keyswitch. You can test using the same settings for the other slots, but change the 2 to a 4.
Attachments
Harp Harmonics.musx
(102.14 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."