Getting Playback control to override tempo

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rpoepa

Post by rpoepa » Thu May 06, 2021 6:57 pm

Apologies if this is an old question, but I can't find a posting with my exact issue.

I am creating an accompaniment part which I'd like to use for practice. I'd like to be able to vary the tempo, to start it out slowly as I am learning my part, and then gradually increase it.

It seems like the Tempo control in the Playback Controls should do this, but what I'm finding is that it has no effect. I created this part with the setup wizard and picked a starting tempo which then showed up as a tempo marking in the score. I added the word "Allegro". Everything fine.

But then I started experimenting with Playback and found that I couldn't vary the tempo. I tried deleting the "half note = 69" mark, but that had no effect. I'd really rather have the correct markings in there anyway, but just be able to override them for practice.

If I can get this figured out, I have a more complicated tempo question: Having ritards and accelerandos in the piece that also vary proportionally when the overall tempo is changed. I was reading the entry on the Expression Designer and how to do custom rit's, and I think I'm probably going to experiment with that. But when I slow down to a practice tempo, I'd like the rit. to slow down as well.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm

The playback controls are trumped by expressions with a playback effect. I'm afraid all you can do is turn off the playback effect in your expressions while you learn. Then the tempo in the playback control will work.

rpoepa

Post by rpoepa » Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 pm

I'm afraid all you can do is turn off the playback effect in your expressions while you learn.
What does that mean exactly? I tried setting MIDI/Audio ->Human Playback to None but that had no effect.

rpoepa

Post by rpoepa » Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 pm

OK, I tried deleting the "Allegro" mark, which apparently carries its own tempo with it (120).

That resolved the issue in that I can now control playback tempo with the playback controls. But I wanted to retain the markings so I can remember what the full tempo is supposed to be. I guess I can write them in with text instead.

With all the powerful features that Finale has, it's strange to me that it doesn't have this one.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 am

The playback tempo is an option of the Allegro marking that you could have just disabled instead of deleting the whole thing.