New installation, sound gone & not gone

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Sun May 09, 2021 6:05 pm

My old computer crashed, so I bought a new one (Windows 10, both). Finale 26.3 (re)installed. I am using a smart TV for monitor, and sometimes for sound; connection is HDMI. The computer runs this successfully, and also external speakers plugged into the sound port.

Finale recognizes (Midi/Audio > Device Setup > Audio Setup) only the computer's internal sound driver, Realtek ASIO, whether or not there is a speaker attached. But the only sound that happens is countoff and clicks; no music. Also, Test Audio Output always sounds.

Somewhat curious is that when there is no other speaker attached, the clicks come through the TV speakers, which Finale doesn't indicate it is aware of.

Most curious is that when I load Finale, sound output is eliminated for apparently all other software, like YouTube, SmartScore, etc. When I close Finale sound reappears.

Help, please!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun May 09, 2021 6:15 pm

The ASIO issue is known. I use Direct Sound instead. However, Motet has latency issues with Direct Sound, so he has a solution for the ASIO problem. As soon as he sees this topic, I'm sure he will offer his approach.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks, zuill. By coincidence, I just realized that I hadn't fiddled with the Audio Driver choices -- so I tried Direct sound, and was much relieved to see that at least Finale was not muting my computer. If there are still problems, I await the entrance of motet to direct me. Not knowing quite how to define my problem, I didn't see any prior threads here that spoke to this issue, so i started this new one. Also, I forgot to check the Notify-me box here, so I didn't see your response from yesterday until now. I was going to say problem solved. But maybe it isn't quite.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon May 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Another thing I made sure of was to set Windows Audio to use a 44,100 sample rate instead of 48,000k which it wants to use. Finale works better for me that way. I use importing of mp3 files for take-downs, and the speed of playback of the mp3 is off if I don't make this setting. After the big Win 10 update, I hade to reset this, as the update messed with it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:41 pm

In transferring my new computer back to where the old one was, and where my laptop had been filling in for it, the whole thing went to hell, but I just got it all back, even with the change to 44100. I remember seeing in the Finale manual somewhere Noteman says you need 44100 or something doesn't work, maybe it was microphone input.

I don't notice any latency issue -- I think you mean with midi keyboard input latency? Just tried my Keystation 49, and so far there is apparently zero latency, better than it ever was before. OTOH, I replaced a 9-year-old computer with a new one that has a 10th generation chip -- that could be the reason.

Thanks for your help on this, zuill.