Noteperformer

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Pontus Hambe
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Pontus Hambe » Tue May 11, 2021 8:34 am

Two questions regarding note performance:

When I work I need to be able to play on my keyboard. In Fin 25 it is not possible due to the latency even when playing on aria player. Is this completely resolved in Fin 26?
How do I change instrument sound in a staff? For example a vln 1 part when I want some bars playing solo vln or a flute part changing to piccolo.
Thank you!
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue May 11, 2021 1:52 pm

For the second question, use the Change Instrument feature.

For the first question, your setup affects the outcome. I choose to have windows set to the sample rate of 44,100k. I also choose Direct Sound. Others say latency is worse with Direct Sound. ASIO has its own issues. Motet has a fix for that. Also, the Buffer Size also will affect latency. I sometimes have to click reload MIDI Driver when things get out of sync. It will take some experimentation to see what works.

I have found that my settings need to be a little different when using the Stand-alone Aria player. Also, there is also a difference in Finale between using Aria and using MIDI.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Aha, thanks! Using Finale for 25 years and hav not noticed the "Instrument change". I´ll try that. As I understand you can only load sounds that have a staff, tehere is no "Noteperformer stand alone" player so to speak? Not like aria where you can load instruments independently?
I also use direkt sound. Using asio 4 all - Finale crashes. On the other hand asio 4 all works perfect whith Arisa stand alone. I have never manage to make anything else than direct sound work with finale so I have to put up whith the little anoying latency.

Anyway I will buy F26 and see what will hapen. When Noteperformer is involved It seems to be impossible to work with F25 anyway since the 1 second latency not only affect the playback and note entry (I can put up with that) but also make it impossible to play on a midikeyboard. I don´t have an acustic piano.

Best
Pontus
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Since I don't use Noteperformer, I don't know if the Change Instrument feature can work to trigger changes there. I was just referring to Finale's built in ability. v26 works the same as v25 in that regard. I don't think you would get anything different in v26 regarding Noteperformer.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm

the latency delay issue with earlier versions of Finale is not present with Finale 26.
you can play your keyboard and hear instantly what notes NP3 is playing.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm

"Change instrument" worked great. The instrument I chose popped up in the Noteperformer mixer.

But latency. I upgraded to Fin 26 and yes, the latency is fixed with noteperformer but there is a one second delay when I play on Aria player. No matter if I play it on the screen or from my midi keyboard. If I select a Garritan sound in score manager it plays back correctly but I cant play on the Aria player without this delay! This is very important! The piano sound in Noteperformer is awful. Is it possible to fix this?
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Wed May 12, 2021 3:32 pm

I would be very greatful if anybody know anything about this. In Fin 25 both Noteperformer and Aria lagged one second. So, Noteperformer made it impossible to play anything in Finale. Before installing NP there was of course no problem with this. In Fin 26 they have fixed Noteperformer but the exakt same one second delay remains in Aria - GPO. I have tried to use an external soundcard (Babyface pro). The asio is working fine but it didn´t solve the problem. Please HELP!
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Thu May 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Anybody?

I can´t be the only one that sometimes need a keyboard when composing or arranging? So it seems I have to open a new discussion with an other headline. The question is very simple and basic: Is it possible to play with a midikeyboard on Aria player when using Noteperformer for playback?

Thanks!

Ps
When it comes to playback a score Noteperformer is so very much better than Garritan. A totally different experience so I can´t go back. However, Garritan has some very good samples wich is nice to play on a midikeyboard, but playback a full orchestral score is dreadful.
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm

I don't understand what you mean by "play back on Aria player".

do you mean simply have instruments loaded in the Aria player within Finale?
because if that is so, I have absolutely no lag issues, either using GPO with Aria, or when using NotePerformer with its own player.

if you mean using the stand-alone version of the Aria player, then all I can say is that I've never been able to make that one work.

However, from within Finale it works fine.

Playing a Garritan instrument via the Aria player in Finale 25 should NOT have given you any lag issues.

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Fri May 14, 2021 1:03 am

Thanks for the answer. I will try to be very clear:
Playback no problem.
Playing with midi keyboard on Aria stand alone no problem.
Playing on Noteperformer instruments within Finale no problem.
Playing on Aria player within Finale BIG PROBLEM - one second latency which is the same as in Fin25. External sound card did not help at all. Asio or direct sound no no. There is something fundamentally wrong. Otherwise both Finale 26 and NP works great!
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 am

Sorry, to be even clearer:

Playing with midi keyboard on Aria within any finale version have never been a big problem before NP was installed. The problem is exactly this:

When noteperformer is the primary sound library there is a latency of one second when I try to play with my midi keyboard on Aria player within Fin 26.

The score cursor and sound is in sync now but there is the same latency - it starts one second after I click play and stops one second after I click stop. But there is no latency when I play NP sound with my keyboard...
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Fri May 14, 2021 2:40 am

you're complaining that there is a 1 second delay when you play the music? or when you press a key on your MIDI keyboard?

it's VERY unclear.

if what you're complaining about is that 1 second delay between pressing play and the beginning of playback of NP3, then that is normal "for playback". NP3 examines the score before each performance and analyses who to best perform the music. That is what that 1 second delay is.

Pontus Hambe

Post by Pontus Hambe » Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 am

In Fin26. Playing with my midi keyboard on Aria player or with the mouse on the virtual keyboard in Aria player = 1sec delay.
I am really trying to be VERY CLEAR.

(Yes it calculates before playback but the 1sec delay when hitting “stop” is new)

Thanks again
Fin 26
Noteperformer
GPO4
GPO5
Win 10