Never a dull moment

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:39 am

Here's something new, that is to say — I had yet to encountered it. In this document I'm working on, Finale time and again refuses to play back the violas (and only the violas). It just happens without any indication why or when. I can reload the instruments, but that does nothing. I can close the document and reopen it, but that is to no avail either. Only completely quitting Finale and rebooting the app will enable playback of the violas (for as long as it will last).
I'm working in this document now well over a month and it has already occurred at least four times. It is horribly annoying having to quit Finale, reboot, wait for all instruments to reload once more (especially the Concert Grand D), only to be able to hear one single voice…

Anyone else had this happen and perhaps knows a better solution than to quit and reboot? As always thanks in advance.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Post some of it?
I'll try!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 pm

It sounds to me like a Viola Players strike! Are they asking for more money?

Kidding of course. I am up to a challenge as well. However, I only use the GIfF sounds. What are you using in this file?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164

Post by Jay Emmes » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:57 pm

I only use the Garritan Instruments for Finale, but I have never had any problem like this before.
This document is one of four movements and as such simply a copy of the empty score set up I prepared beforehand. The problem did not occur in any of the other movements, only in this one and only with the violas. Nor is the problem persistent in every session I'm working in this document.

Additionally: the problem, when manifest, both occurs in playback and in saving to aiff. Once the violas are mute regardless of what I do or try — they remain mute until I quit and relaunch Finale. Always something with violists, right?

The playback isn't really that big of a deal — I use it merely to check for wrong notes. So I can live with the problem; it annoys me though. This is a fairly transparent score (piano and ten part string orchestra), but what when the problem occurs in a larger set up when the omission of a voice isn't so obvious? How many wrong notes will I miss, simply because they didn't sound in the first place?
I want the software I work with to be trustworthy and the automated process to be a time saver. Instead I have to work with Finale (tongue in cheek).

Sorry, I can't upload the document for copyright reasons and I don't think a reduced segment of the score will tell all that much. I reason that, since the problem doesn't occur in any of the other movements written in copies of the same document, somewhere along the line something must have happened in the viola lines in this particular document that causes the problem. Reducing the score may very well eliminate that 'something'.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6