Human Playback Rhythmic Feel

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:38 am

The Rhythmic Feel variation in Standard setting is 25%. Would you say this is realistic or is it too much to your ears?
Also, the manual isn't clear as to what this percentage is in respect to. Is it 25% variation in respect to the value of the note being played?

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:33 pm

According to the Finale Manual (and tutorials), "Rhythmic Feel" is the amount (no base given) of subtle variation in the length and timing of the notes being played. It's much less than a "Viennese Waltz" change and smaller than rubato would add. I'm guessing (from a mathematical point of view) that a low-amplitude, high-frequency, mean-zero signal is added, probably on a measure by measure basis for the mean-zero.

sPretzel

Post by sPretzel » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi ttw,
Thanks for your reply. I have read what the manual says about Rhythmic Feel. My question is whether the Standard setting feels realistic or is rushing or slowing down too much.
I was also asking what the Rhythmic Feel percentage is defined against. So for Standard, it's 25% of what? It is not clear from the manual.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:28 pm

What's important is, how does it feel or sound to you? Start at the 25%. You can go up or down from there, until you're happy. And someone else won't be.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

sPretzel

Post by sPretzel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:09 am

That's true miker. I feel it's a little too much variation that I can hear, making it sometimes off the beat. I just wanted to find out if others felt the same way, given that it's the default setting.