Where'd the sounds go?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Scott V
Operating System: Mac

Post by Scott V » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello, all! It seems that if I export a musx file into a pdf, and naturally I now have both the pdf and the original musx file saved as two separate documents, the Garritan sounds no longer load up when I open the musx file. Therefore, the cursor runs when I click the Play button, but there is no sound. I've also already extracted parts, and they will load all the score's sounds when I tap the Play button, and they play fine. What happened to my original score's sound settings when I did the pdf export and/or part extractions? This has happened with several pieces. I have worked around it by making a duplicate of my music file and then using one to export a pdf from and the other to continue working with playback. But that means any edits I make have to be made separately on both, and doesn't solve the actual problem. Can anyone help? Thanks!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:22 pm

What version of Finale, what OS and platform?

I can't think of any imaginable way in which exporting a PDF should affect playback.

Also: you shouldn't need to export parts.The Linked Parts means one document contains score and parts.

Scott V

Post by Scott V » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Finale 26. MacBook Pro. I don't remember which OS anymore. This machine started with Sierra (I think) and has been getting overnight updates automatically when they are released (at least it is supposed to be), so I don't know what it's up to.

I think extracting parts is not the cause of the problem. But exporting to a pdf has caused this before. I only mentioned the parts because it may be diagnostically useful to know that the parts are unaffected by the issue. I have not separately "exported" individual parts, but I have saved some of them as pdfs, through the path provided by the Mac's Print screen.

Scott V

Post by Scott V » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Whatever the reason for the sounds no longer loading up and playing when I open the file (even the little window that shows that happening doesn't open), how do I get it to do that again? It's like the computer is just skipping that step when the file opens.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Have you sent the problem in to tech support?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Can you upload a sample document? (You could cut down the music if you don't want to 'publish' it.)

Clearly, if some documents work and some don't, then the problem is at the document level.