Finale v26 playing wrong note durations

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

webs
Finale Version: Finale V26
Operating System: Mac

Post by webs » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:14 am

:shock: After 30 + years of using dozens of Finale versions, here i am on V26 (For Mac)
And here I am having to ask a question which should not be needed even for Finale's first version
I entered a short series of 1/2 notes for a single instrument on a blank score
AND THEY DON'T PLAY BACK EVEN REMOTELY CORRECT DURATIONS
Needless to say my frustration is at a boiling point
I've lost 3 hours trying to complete something that would normally take me 2 minutes
CAN ANYONE HELP ME KEEP MY FOOTING ON THE EDGE OF A CLIFF I'M ABOUT TO LEAVE ?????
MAYBE SOMEONE WITH MORE THAN 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ???
HELP PLEASE HELP

IF I REGRET THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS BECAUSE I AM WRONG, I WILL POST AN APOLOGY
My years of experience have required me to find work-arounds for so many bugs with each new version, and they never get fixed ... they keep reappearing in the next or a subsequent version
I thought Finale told us they did a rewrite at one time ... my guess is the code is so old and so patched, its impossible to make new versions without existing and new bugs

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 am

It can be difficult to diagnose something blindly with nothing to look at.

Attach the Finale document here, and I am confident the gurus can find out, why the ½-notes do not play back as ½-notes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

webs

Post by webs » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:57 am

Thank you for your interest Peter ... I appreciate your response

I should have added that I am not using any Midi Tools, Expressions, Articulations, etc. Just a short series of 1/2 notes over several bars
I asked the question on the Forum, thinking maybe someone has used a work-around when the problem occurs
If necessary, I will send a file to Finale Tech Support
But the value of the Forum (for me) is to learn how others use smart, fast fixes

Again thanks Peter

webs

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 am

there is no way to know whether you are wrong or not to complain, if you do not post a file example so that the problem can be diagnosed.

as it is, nothing in what you have written supports your complaint.
and nothing gives any insight into what might be wrong.

so as Peter Thomsen wrote previously, post an example file that demonstrates this issue and then, and only then, can someone come up with any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue.

but until you do so, the long paragraph where you vent about issue upon issue you've had is entirely meaningless.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

webs

Post by webs » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks, Michel R E, for your insulting reply ... you obviously don't read well.

I said I was only using the forum to see if anyone else has had a problem with incorrect note duration playback, and perhaps had found a quick solution.
Again, TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH INCORRECT NOTE DURATION PLAYBACK, AND PERHAPS HAD FOUND A QUICK SOLUTION.
I don't need someone to analyze my simple file !!!!!

I don't know why I'm taking the time to explain this to you, but over the years, I have found a few workarounds (both my own and from Forum members) to problems Finale has been unable to resolve.

Further, the only 2 times I have submitted a file, I have been told the files were corrupted (which may well have been the case because they were complex).
However, I would still contact Finale Tech Support to analyze my file, if absolutely necessary.

Please don't presume to criticize me for what I consider to be an intelligent way to use the Forum

webs

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 pm

You've perhaps incorporated MIDI data into the file. Select all, then go to Edit/Clear selected items, and do this:
Attachments
0919.png

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 pm

If that doesn't fix it, there's nothing to lose by attaching your file here. Probably quicker than turning CapsLock off and on. :-)

webs

Post by webs » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:53 am

Thank you for your suggestion, motet
I deleted the file and created a new one from scratch yesterday, without encountering the problem again.
However, I have experienced this problem in small parts of much more complex files from time to time, and no doubt will again
So i have added your suggestion (which I had never considered before) to my list of potential workarounds, and will certainly try it next time ... it seems very logical, and even if it does not work in this particular case, it might prove useful in other situations.
Thanks again for your time and assistance, motet
webs
PS This "1/2 Note" file will be quite large ... playback Intervals for Ear Training

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:42 am

I have never had a problem with half notes playing correctly. I've been using Finale for 25 years.

The reason we suggested to see the file is that there have been unusual things in files which can't be easily seen which can cause odd behavior. There are some brilliant gurus here that can "think" Finale from the inside out. Often a user has tried to explain a problem, without the file being shared. Then, when finally they yielded, and posted the file, the solution was discovered. Some things can be hard to find unless one knows Finale extremely well, into its deepest recesses.

I think you wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and knew a trick. Power users generally don't have half notes not playing correctly, so you probably won't find anyone here who has had to need any workaround.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

webs

Post by webs » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:08 am

In my original post on this subject, i stated ....
IF I REGRET THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS BECAUSE I AM WRONG, I WILL POST AN APOLOGY
Well I'm posting an apology ... I was wrong

I was using a specific Vienna Symphonic Library Trumpet Legato articulation. It seems the Legato Patches Of The Special Editions Are Not Looped, And So Will End After Some Time. When Longer Notes Are Needed,One Should Use The Sustain Or Legato-Sus Patches instead. These Patches Have A Crossfade To Looped Sustains After The Interval Transition.

I apologize and retract my complaint !
webs

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:15 am

A gentleman.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 am

webs wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:36 pm
Thanks, Michel R E, for your insulting reply ... you obviously don't read well.
webs
There was nothing "insulting" in my reply,
but thank-you for pointing out my difficulty with reading.

From the way you posted your initial query it was difficult to understand that the attacks were coming in at the right moment, but that the notes were not sustaining to their full length.
in this particular case, it would have helped to know that you were using a 3rd party sample library.

It also WOULD have helped had you posted a file. as was clearly, and un-insultingly, mentioned.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.