looking for tenor drum in midi maps

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mscherperel
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by mscherperel » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:28 am

I'm fairly new to using the complex world of percussion sounds in Finale, but I'm trying to learn. Searching both Garritan and SoftSynth, I cannot seem to find tenor drum (also tried name "field drum") nor snare drum snares off (which would be similar, of course, but "higher" in pitch). I'd settle for either. Am I just missing it? Is there any easier way to find the sounds one wants than tediously searching through the list of maps in the user manuals?

mscherperel
Finale Version: 26

Post by mscherperel » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:21 pm

Answering my own question, the category of "toms", available in several maps, seems to cover the sound in question. Arguably as well, "high tom" would serve for snare drum with snares off.

I'm still hoping someone will point me to a list of sounds by map so that I could look for, say, "wood block" and be told that it is in Jazz Fusion Drum Kit, Brush Drum Kit, Electronic Drum Kit, and Woodblocks (for Garritan). As I was working on a score recently that calls for 18 non-pitched instruments, such a list sure would have saved me the time of opening the user manual, going to Percussion MIDI Maps for Garritan, expanding all the subsections, than doing Ctrl+F 18 times and noting down all the results in a spreadsheet (plus then having to search through that compiled info to find a map in common for any subset of instruments covered by a single player).

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:25 pm

An option that may work for you is to use a VST plugin, like the drum machine from 99Sounds, or Sitala that lets you control the pitch, customize the tone, etc. Both of these plugins are free, full featured and without ads.