any way to play back percussion sounds not in the same midi map?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mscherperel
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by mscherperel » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 am

I'm new to using the percussion features in Finale. Bit tricky. Do I understand correctly that if a percussion part on one staff includes instruments that cannot be found in the same MIDI map, say slapstick and tam tam (just as an example), there is no way to get both to play back? I tried using a different layout by layers, but that does not work. If I change the layout on layer 1, it also changes the layout on layer 2. Anyone have any tricks to suggest?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:49 am

There is a way to do this. However, it's not easy. I don't use 2014 much any more, so I wouldn't be able to help.

Your signature says 2014 PC, then your OS is listed as Mac.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

PerrySoldi
Finale Version: 27

Post by PerrySoldi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 pm

I am having exactly the same issue.

I need to put these instruments on one staff and have them play back:

Woodblock
Tom
Ratchet
Sus. Cymbal roll
Bass Drum
Whip
Gong

There is no map available that contains all those instruments, and my attempts to create one have not gone well. I'm using 27 and would appreciate any help, or directions to a tutorial that can help.

mscherperel

Post by mscherperel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Thanks, Zuil. My profile is totally wrong! I've corrected it. I'm a Windows user and running Finale 26. So, what's your solution??? The only workaround I've found so far is to duplicate the staff that has the playback issue, apply a different layout to the second staff that will pick up the "missing" sounds from the first one, and then HIDE the staff. Hidden staves DO play back, I discovered (to my surprise). All this is in aid of conductors and performers interested in my work. I don't use playback myself (except occasionally as a double check on accidentals and possibly malfunctioning of my internal ears), but it is surprising how many people these days don't want to read a score and prefer to have a track to listen to!

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 pm

I only have GIfF. If that's what you have, I might be able to help. Can you create a simple file of what you want to start with? Then I can see if I can modify it to get other sounds.

Zuill

mscherperel

Post by mscherperel » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Attached is not a simple file but it is one movement of a work in which I am encountering this issue. Percussion player 2 plays suspended cymbal, wood blocks, and maracas at various points in the score. As far as I've been able to locate, susp cym is only in Basic Orchestral Percussion; wood blocks in Jazz Fusion Drum Kit, Brush Drum Kit, Electronic Drum Kit, and Woodblocks; maracas in Electronic Drum Kit, Ethnic Percussion, Brush Drum Kit, and Jazz Fusion Drum Kit. If this is too much to wade through, I would be happy to dummy up a simple example. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Attachments
1. Mercury.musx
(161.08 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm

Rather than editing your file, I thought I would start by posting a file that is based on one I created some time back for another Forum topic. If this is the concept, then we can go from there. The Percussion Layout has one sound from the Orchestral Percussion Map, and two from the Jazz Fusion Map. Layer 1 is assigned to Orchestral Percussion, and Layer 2 to Jazz Fusion.

Zuill
Attachments
Percussion Orch and Fusion Hybrid 4.musx
(100.09 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Something I forgot to mention: in your file, the Percussion 2 staff is not set up as a Percussion Staff, just a Blank Staff. You can't get proper percussion notation or playback unless you create it as a Percussion Staff.

Zuill

mscherperel

Post by mscherperel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:07 pm

Pardon my delay in following up this chain. Other activities intervened! Thanks for the sample you sent. I can't play it because it says my Aria player is out of date. I have NEVER used Aria, not intentionally anyhow, to my knowledge, and know zip about it. I can see from your sample that you created a layout (Orch and Fusion Hybrid) that includes all three instruments, but of course wood block and maracas are in italics, since they are not available in Basic Orchestra Percussion. I have no idea how you worked around that. Let me pursue this Aria business and see if I can get your file to play.

As to my Percussion 2 staff, yes, it is not correctly set up in Score Manager. I got frustrated simply trying to get the notes on the page where I wanted them--impatient and not willing to stop what I was doing to try to understand all this percussion business. I know better now, but I'm only dabbling on the surface. All nine scores in this composition LOOK right now, but of course they will not play back correctly.

Thanks again for your file. I'll play around with it some as well as with the Aria business. First, however, I have to reinstall Finale because it started crashing :-( Tech support's advice was reinstall. Sigh. No end to technical difficulties when all I'm trying to do is compose.