Finale 26 hangs on Export Audio File

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tramsey
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by tramsey » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:49 am

I usually can export audio files straight from Finale 26 without issue. I'm working on a large orchestra score now, and whenever I try to export audio, this is what happens.
1. Finale loads the instruments (if I hadn't already loaded them for playback). I use VST.
2. Finale spends a few seconds processing.
3. Finale processes the file for Human Playback.
4. The status bar at the bottom left reads "Playing..."
5. NOTHING happens - the system freezes for upwards of 5 minutes, until I quit, restart, try again.

Usually, after 4. above, the status bar reads "Playing..." and the measures zip by in playback controls. Then, it writes the file, which takes a while, but always works. I tried reducing the playback region to a shorter duration before exporting but it made no difference. The file DOES play back correctly just before I try exporting, so there isn't a playback issue. Grateful for any assistance.

Running Finale 26.1.0.397 on Windows 10 (64-bit), 12 GB ram.

A further question might be, if the problem is that the file is too large to export/process (45 minutes of a full orchestra), what IS the threshold for this?

tramsey
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by tramsey » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:10 am

OK, so I solved this one on my own. I'll share my workaround in case anyone else faces this. Here's what worked:

I started with the 45-minute piece, which froze my computer trying to export. I made 5 copies of the file (one for each movement) and in each of these copies deleted the measures that belonged to the other movements. I closed and reopened the files one at a time. Each file was able to generate audio files correctly. It seems like the larger file hung up my system but breaking it into smaller bits didn't. And selecting a playback region DOES NOT have the effect.

If anyone knows a better way I'd be glad to hear of it.