Making Personal Orchestra sound like Real Orchestra

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by tss-music » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:15 pm

Well, I think I've managed to create an adequate demo version of my new orchestral piece using GPO5, after lots of fussing with the Aria equalizers. But I'm not really satisfied with the tone quality and balance of some sections. If any of you experienced hands are willing to give it a listen and let me know if you can spot any problems that have known solutions (or if you just want to hear a new piece), I'd be grateful.

Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/view/tomstatle ... -discovery

Incidentally, this is connected to NASA's Lucy Soundscape project, which some of you Forumers might be interested in: https://www.nasa.gov/lucy-soundscape

Thanks all,
Tom

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2

Post by blueshift » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:36 pm

To up the realism - I tweak (as you do) FInale / Aria / GPO5 about as far as it can go, after which I have proof of concept for an audience of one (me). Because I am not famous, I need squeeze as much convincing realism out of my instruments as I can in order to sell the occasional score. (My end product is a Finale produced score.) There is substantial detail in the GPO5 files but it's beyond the processing power of my quad-core machine to render it inside Finale. I export tracks or groups of tracks as aiffs and finesse the mix in a DAW (Cubase Elements is sufficient). What is interesting is the difference in, say, the strings playing within the full mix inside the straight Finale playback, to what gets exported in separate violin tracks. In the DAW I have all of what is in GPO5 - and the ability to shape those details the way a conductor would.
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / KONTAKT / stray sfz
Cubase / Studio One

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3

Post by tss-music » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:53 pm

blueshift wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:36 pm
There is substantial detail in the GPO5 files but it's beyond the processing power of my quad-core machine to render it inside Finale. I export tracks or groups of tracks as aiffs and finesse the mix in a DAW (Cubase Elements is sufficient). What is interesting is the difference in, say, the strings playing within the full mix inside the straight Finale playback, to what gets exported in separate violin tracks. In the DAW I have all of what is in GPO5 - and the ability to shape those details the way a conductor would.
Thanks for the suggestion -- it didn't occur to me that the limitation could be in Finale and not in GPO5. I may give this a try at some point, although right now I'll be focusing my effort on getting the score done and trying to get a human orchestra interested in the piece.