Castanet roll silent

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tramsey
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by tramsey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:52 am

Running Finale 26.1.0.397 on Windows 10 (64-bit), 12 GB ram.

I've created a staff for castanets, and set it up to play through VST/Aria Player. I've selected Percussion Toys, and verified that the staff is sending the correct MIDI notes to VST. I can hear the castanet basic tone when I set the proper dynamic, but the castanet roll is silent. Any ideas?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:18 am

How are you applying the roll?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

tramsey

Post by tramsey » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:34 am

I applied the roll by choosing it while hovering over the staff in Simple Entry until it showed "Castanet Roll." I think I solved it on my own but I'll post anyways because I'd love to read this is I were similarly stuck...

I created a percussion map (see picture) and assigned it in ScoreManager. I entered the notes using SimpleEntry (see other picture). Everything looks OK and the first 3 notes play. But the roll is silent.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
THEN I did some sleuthing. I discovered that even though the map says it will send MIDI note 75 to VST, VST is playing 71. I confirmed this by changing the Percussion Toys patch to piano. The wacky thing is that the thing that really fixed it was REMOVING THE "ROLL" ARTICULATION. When I deleted the roll articulation, playback was correct.

Ever seen anything like this before?

After this (3 hours later - what a waste of time!) I tried to make the articulation appear so that the player would know to roll, but as soon as I add it, it plays the wrong note. I even tried making a copy of the articulation and it behaves the same way. Would love to know a workaround to get the articulation to appear AND playback ...

tramsey

Post by tramsey » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:36 am

This post here viewtopic.php?t=16879 may be a similar issue?