Chord symbol playback register

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

guitarsean
Finale Version: 2012-F25
Operating System: Mac

Post by guitarsean » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Is there any way change the octave Finale plays chord symbols on something like a jazz lead sheet? I'm not using fretboards so changing those settings does nothing. I want playback just to assess my writing, so I'd rather avoid the extra steps of adding a hidden layer or staff of written out chords just for playback. File attached, assuming my settings aren't just wonky somewhere, you'll hear the chords played above the head in pitch, not very useful for hearing how things are interacting.

Thanks!
Attachments
Grandma Was A Brawler.musx
(85.88 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Freelance Music And Art
guitarsean.info
Finale 2012-F25
Mac and Windows

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 pm

You may not like the way Finale "Voices" Chord Symbols, esp if there are added notes or Chord Extentions.
You might better off musically if you make a separate staff for your own voicings.

guitarsean

Post by guitarsean » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:38 pm

oldmkvi wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 pm
You may not like the way Finale "Voices" Chord Symbols, esp if there are added notes or Chord Extentions.
You might better off musically if you make a separate staff for your own voicings.
It's not the voicing, it's that Finale plays the chords about one or two octaves higher than I would like. Though I think you're right, I might not have a choice but to add a staff.
Freelance Music And Art
guitarsean.info
Finale 2012-F25
Mac and Windows

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:29 am

Most of us don't use the playback of chords (too high, no voice leading, close voicing, confusion with the other staves...).
If you really want them, you can modify the notes of the voicing to a lower pitch.
Edit a chord suffix, click on "Set Play" and change the pitches of the suffix related to the root.
For instance, the suffix 7 (dominant chord) is 4, 7, 10 (semitones calculated from the root). You can lower/invert these pitches, for instance -5, -2, 4.
But you can see that you have to do that in a template/default file or library for each suffix ! Lots of work.
The solution of an additional (hidden) layer or staff for the chords is probably preferable.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

guitarsean

Post by guitarsean » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks for the idea. Sounds like a hidden staff would be more expedient. Or I can add a staff a link parts for the lead sheet.
Freelance Music And Art
guitarsean.info
Finale 2012-F25
Mac and Windows