Piano playback balance issues

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hk106
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by hk106 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Garritan sound library's "Concert D Grand Piano," and I quite like it, especially compared to the other default options. That said, I'm observing two recurring issues that I'm hoping are fixable through some sort of adjustment.

1. If the treble clef has a single, monophonic melody and the left hand is playing chords, the left hand ends up being louder, somewhat drowning out the melody.

2. Given that most of my melodic lines are found in the highest and lowest parts of the texture, I'd like the option to be able to emphasize these. When working with thicker textures, I find that following the melodic lines can be difficult as they blend in with the middle textures.

Has anyone else encountered issues like these, and has anyone found solutions for them?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:56 pm

I think the only way to do it in PM is for playback purposes only, create a new doc, and enter them as separate lines, rather than a Grand Staff. Then, you should be able to assign different dynamics to the two staves.

I don't think PM can separate the channels in a Grand staff, like you can in the full Finale.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

hk106
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by hk106 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi Miker!

My apologies for the confusion. If "PM" refers to PrintMusic, I should note that I'm no longer using that software. I've since upgraded to Finale 25.5. I've updated my profile accordingly.

How can this be achieved through the full Finale version?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 pm

In the ScoreManager, you can give a different midi channel to each staff, and even for different layers of a specific staff.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua