Anybody been able to assign the sound for Jaw Harp?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:50 pm

I selected Jaw Harp in Score Manager and got the following: Garritan incorrectly assigns the Steinway Piano; SmartMusic incorrectly assigns "Bowed Glass." Since Finale comes with a large variety of ethnic sounds, I figured the Jaw Harp would be included. After an hour of looking in all the percussion maps and searching in the manual (that results in the usual insult of sending the user on a wild goose chase), I threw in the towel. If the Jaw Harp sound is included, it is well-hidden. Has anybody found a reliable way to find the sounds to Finale's list of Instruments that point incorrectly, such as the Jaw Harp?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 pm

Probably more than you wanted to know…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:09 am

Garritan World Instruments includes the usual Jew's Harm and a Murtang. I haven't used either but GWI has worked in all the cases I tried.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:20 am

My v26.3.1.520 of Finale offers no sound resembling a Jaws Harp. Selecting Murchang also assigns Bowed Glass as the sound.

I wanted to add a Jaws Harp sound to the squeeze notes in a didgeridoo part and managed to create such a sound, using the free but excellent Tunefish digital synth that works with Finale. If anybody is interested, below is a pic of the settings I used.

ttw, did you add a plug-in to get a Jaws Harp sound?

Tunefish 4.jpg