Instrument playback volume low in the last three bars

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:34 pm

The playback volume of one instrument in my score for an ensemble is dramatically softened. Disabling Human Playback or disabling "Hairpins & dynamics" in HP restores the volume in the measures on the last page. But then all the dynamic expression in the score are no longer interpreted.

I'm thinking of making the page size larger, so I can add another instance of the instrument then copying and pasting the notation into the new staff system, after which I can delete the problematic track. The latter has worked for me in the past, but doing so is such a labor. Is there anything simpler that I can try to fix the problem?

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:13 pm

There might be a better way to accomplish what you want, but if it's only the last three bars you could insert a "Human Playback off" expression. Create a new miscellaneous expression with the font 'hidden' and for playback select "HP off." Create an "HP on" expression if needed. These affect only the staff on which they're placed, so if you want HP off in all staves click the "assign to all" option. I thought this expression was included in the Finale library but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks for the good suggestion. I created and placed the expression at the point where the volume drops. Below are the steps I used that fail.

1. Expression Tool -> double-click at the point where the volume drops -> choose, say, "Miscellaneous."
2. Create Misc. Expression -> type in a label, such as, "HP Off."
3. Playback tab -> from "Type" drop-down menu, select "Human Playback Off" (leave "Set to value" at zero) -> OK.
4. From "Assign" drop-down menu, select "Assign to Current Staff."
4. Drag the expression off the stave -> right-click on its handle -> uncheck "Show."

I tried these steps in a new document with the same, failing result. So disabling HP works but not if commanded in an expression. Is anyone else able to turn off HP with an expression, or do we have yet another bug?

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:31 am

Djard wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:45 pm
Thanks for the good suggestion. I created and placed the expression at the point where the volume drops. Below are the steps I used that fail.

1. Expression Tool -> double-click at the point where the volume drops -> choose, say, "Miscellaneous."
2. Create Misc. Expression -> type in a label, such as, "HP Off."
3. Playback tab -> from "Type" drop-down menu, select "Human Playback Off" (leave "Set to value" at zero) -> OK.
4. From "Assign" drop-down menu, select "Assign to Current Staff."
4. Drag the expression off the stave -> right-click on its handle -> uncheck "Show."

I tried these steps in a new document with the same, failing result. So disabling HP works but not if commanded in an expression. Is anyone else able to turn off HP with an expression, or do we have yet another bug?
I've used the HP off expression without any problem. After the expression is applied the graphic indicators on the VST hosting interface no longer move as they did before it was applied. Perhaps it's not HP itself that's causing the issue? Can you attach a file of the final three or four bars?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:58 pm

I truncated the score to three pages and pruned a lot of the expressions, articulations and lines to reduce the files size, but it still exceeded the limit allowed at this forum. When I cut out the second last page, the volume of the problematic track no longer softened. So I am unable to upload the file when problematic. Sigh!