old projects won't load third party vst plugins on new computer

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kukumarbob
Finale Version: 2010
Operating System: Windows

Post by kukumarbob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:13 am

Hello,
I've had this problem for years (say 15) and have never figured it out. If I get a new computer, install Finale, setup third party VST instruments with Kontakt, everything works except if I try to load an old project that was created on a different computer, the VST plugins won't load.

I get two error messages:

1) Failed to load VST plug-in program data.
2) Missing requested instrument plug-in

So far my only solution has been to try not to get a new computer, but that's pretty unsustainable. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:17 pm

If the device plug-in does not appear as a "Device" in Score Manager, you will need to temporarily choose another instrument then select the plug-in again. If you upgraded your computer from 32-bit to 64-bit, or Finale from 32-bit to 64-bit, then a 32-bit plug-in will not be recognized. If the new computer has a different directory structure, you will need to reassign the sounds. With the problematic document opened in the new system, check as follows...

MIDI/Audio -> Device Setup -> Manage VST Plug-in Directories.

If your plug-in is not listed, add it here then make sure it is selected as the "Device" in Score Manager. You may need to "Re-assign Playback Sounds," "Rescan for VSTs" and check the volume of the instrument in "VST Banks & Effects," since such changes can cause Finale to set the volume of the Bank to zero. More often than not, the Device (plug-in) has to be selected yet again in Score Manager's "Instrument List."

In my experience, the moment you depart from simplicity in Finale, all kinds of issues appear. But they usually can be resolved.