Trill assigned by neighoring instrument

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HeartofTexas
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:52 pm

I have read of the many problems of Human Playback and Trills, starting late, Ending early etc. Here is a trill error I have that I cannot seem to clear.

A trill in Bb Clarinet 1 that activates a trill in the bassoon part during HP (Standard and Marching Band). I am using Finale 26 3.1 520 build. I have made sure that the trill is marked to the correct part, and repeated this exercise several times. This effect only occurs in 3-4 measures, with similar note relationships both before and after these measures. Using Edit Clear Selected Items, no combination of clearings seems to remove the trill effect. I have deleted the bassoon measures and re-written them only to have the trill return like an unwanted guest. The Oboe trill has no effect on the bassoon. The only time I removed the trill effect was to delete the trill mark from Bb Clarinet 1. Once adding the trill back to the Clarinet, it also affects the bassoon. Again, using the arrow indicators when applying the trill, this should belong only to the Clarinet. I even moved the Bassoon staff further away from the Clarinet to attempt to isolate it. Finally, I deleted the Clarinet trill, bassoon sounded as written, added the Clarinet trill back to the part but I placed the trill markings within the Clarinet staff, and magically, no bassoon trill. When moving the Clarinet trill back up to its rightful place, over the whole note, the bassoon trill returned suggesting the placement of the trill mark was affecting the bassoon part. It is possible that my first attempt to add trills may have given the bassoon a trill, but that mistake has been corrected long ago, yet the bassoon still trills.

Any suggestions on how to remove the trill from the bassoon and yet retain it for the Clarinet? Or why only these few measures seem to behave this way?
Attachments
Bassoon Trill not written July 2022.JPG
Bassoon and Clarinet Trill overlap?
Finale 26.3.1.520; Win 10; GPO5

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Select Tools/Advanced Tools/MIDI. On the MIDI Tool menu (NOT MIDI/AUDIO) pick Apply Human Playback, then select Clear Items near the bottom of the ensuing dialog. Does that clear it up?

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:01 pm

Motet:

Thanks for the idea but I couldn't get it to work. After entering the MIDI Tool Apply Human Playback Selection menu, even with highlighting the measures I hoped to change, the Bassoon part still trills with the 1st Clarinet part. I am late to return to this discussion as I thought I had set my account to notify me of any responses, alas not this time.

To fill out the problem description more, the bassoon and clarinet parts perform human playback normally even with trills in the clarinet part up to a certain point in the piece, then for the rest of the piece, they trill together even though only the clarinet part has the trill marked. True, the clarinet is in high register and the second bassoon is in low register (only the second part bassoon inappropriately trills). If I put the trill indication just below the upper line of the musical staff, the overlapping trill problem goes away. One can't help but feel the parts somehow overlap with the clarinet high register and the bassoon low register to create the issue. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. My plan is to create 2 scores, one for playback the other for printing.

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:22 pm

One more aspect just learned. The unwanted bassoon trill only occurs when I mute the clarinet. It is as though the trill assigned to the clarinet slides up to the bassoon when clarinet is muted. Tried clearing all MIDI info with Edit-Clear Selected Items-MIDI data, no luck. Regardless of the distance between the staves, the trill in the bassoon stays, now silenced only by activating the clarinet voice.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:32 pm

Try the old standby: export the file as XML and import it back in. That often clears up confusion.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society