playback timer

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alan Knapper
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alan Knapper » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:27 pm

I've only had Finale for a little while. I used PrintMusic for years.

Printmusic would allow you to set the playback timer to begin anywhere within the piece. Since I got Finale, most of the time, I can't change that playback counter, so to listen to what I've got, I have to start from the beginning of that piece every time. What is happening here and how do I make playback more flexible?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:33 am

You can set beginning and ending measures in the Playback Control panel. Or, you could set it to start at the leftmost measure.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Alan Knapper

Post by Alan Knapper » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:30 pm

If you're talking about the "measure counter" box in the playback controls (indicated in the picture), this is untrue. Only old files I created in PrintMusic have that box available to adjust. That box is not changeable in any new Finale files I create.
Attachments
timer.jpg
Last edited by Alan Knapper on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:24 pm

Your saying “most of the time” may provide a clue. Are you stopping playback with the controls, or the spacebar? The spacebar actually puts you into pause mode, and some settings are inaccessible. Using the playback controls to stop the playback may give you back what you need.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Alan Knapper

Post by Alan Knapper » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 am

The observation I've made, regarding the "most of the time" comment has to do with old PrintMusic files and new Finale files.

Files created in PrintMusic still have that counter available.

Newly created Finale files do not.

Playback still works in new files, but I cannot change that counter to begin anywhere but bar 1. That counter is entirely unavailable to me on a newly created Finale file.

And I always do my playback (start and stop) on the toolbar controls, not the spacebar.

I just want to be able to verify my work and not have to start at the beginning every time.

Alan Knapper

Post by Alan Knapper » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 am

I may have found what I needed. With the playback bar docked, "options" was off the screen. I wanted the button "current counter setting." That was not the button highlighted.

I just need to figure out how to make it a part of the basic template, so I don't have to go in and change it every time I make a new file...