Need to disable a programmed Articulation Metatool

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:33 pm

When I create guitar fingering with the Articulation tool, any note marked with "m" (for middle finger) automatically plays a mordent, even though "Playback Effect" is set to "None." I believe I followed the steps in the manual to re-assign the "m" to a symbol that has no playback effect, but the problem persists. Is there a way to have Metatools assign no playback to the articulation? Below are the steps I tried that fail to solve the problem.

1. Hold down "Shift" key and press "m" key on keyboard. Articulation Selection dialog appears, with mordent symbol highlighted.
2. Double-click on an item that does not affect playback, such as a number.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 pm

Attach a file exhibiting the problem.

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:51 pm

In the attached document, any note with "m" plays a mordent on my system.
Attachments
Mordent.musx
(100.89 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

motet

Post by motet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:59 pm

That has nothing to do with a metatool, which is just a shortcut to entering an articulation, expresstion, etc.

I'm remembering now that the mordent articulation is an "m" in the Maestro font and HP cues off of that. Use an expression instead. If done right, they don't "drift". See the attached.
Attachments
Mordent-fixed.musx
(99.92 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:07 am

It's not just the Maestro font that dictates the playback of the character: any font with "m" imposes the mordent in playback, which I think is lame; since a composer would use the conventional (wavy) symbol for a mordent. I have never seen "m" substituted for the actual symbol, in any genre of music.

Regarding the Metatool, it can be used as a shortcut to any item in the Articulation dialog; but as you say, pointing to another item does nothing in terms of playback. And the "Playback Effect" in the Articulation Designer becomes non-functional when set to "None" for "m." I am persuaded that Finale is hostile to classical guitarists.

Thanks for the suggestion to use the Expression tool for fingering. Years ago, a number of people at the Makemusic forum chastised me for using the Expression tool for fingering--in particular a certain "Warren"--stating that I should use the Articulation tool for such purpose. Sigh!

motet

Post by motet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:26 am

I guess HP could check the font, though it really has no way of knowing for if there's a mordent there or not without hardwiring in a bunch of font names, which would break when a new on came along. I don't know that you should use expressions for piano fingerings--the advantage of articulations is that they stack and they come built-in to Finale. I guess you're forced to use an expression here, unless you can find a font with m in a different slot.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:29 pm

Drained from contending with MakeMusic anomalies, and having already entered fingering as articulations, I'm opting to use a third-party VST plug-in for classical guitar scores. Thanks for lending a hand. I will use the Expression tool for fingering in the future. The settings you kindly shared in the positioning tab seem to work just fine.