No sound from Garritan for Finale?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:29 am

I recently upgraded to Finale 27 and OS 12 on a brand new M1 Mac mini, including Garritan for Finale and Aria Player. However, I am not getting any playback through Garritan. Playing through MIDI works normally.

Midi/Audio is set to Play through audio units, Audio Units and Effects is set to Aria Player, the two staves in Score Manager are set to Garritan For Finale Steinway piano. The first two slots of Aria player are set to Finale Default Bank Steinway Piano, but no sound comes forth when I depress the keys on the piano keyboard in the Aria window. I also have an older copy of GPO also installed on this computer, but I am not using it to play through Finale at the moment.

Never had a problem before. "It just worked" even through I know little about Garritan or Aria Player. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:26 pm

The new version of Aria Player installed under Applications, not in the Application folder called Garritan Aria Player, which has the older version of Aria Player. I just put the new version of Aria Player (now called Aria Player copy) in the Garritan Aria Player folder along with the other version, but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:32 am

Wondering if anyone has Garritan for Finale actually working in Finale 27 on an M1 Mac (OS 12)...
www.cantilenapress.com

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:27 am

Yes, it's working well on my M1 MBP.

Firstly: are the instruments listed in ARIA Player on the left hand side?
Screenshot.png
If they're not there, then that means ARIA can't find the samples. See this article, which describes moving the sample folder, but includes how to configure ARIA to look in the correct place.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... stallation

Secondly, does the standalone ARIA player app work? If so, then it's a configuration issue with Finale.

Back in Finale's ARIA Player, can you play the keys to produce a sound? Have you turned up the Mixer volume for that slot?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (28.79 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
If that works, then it's a problem with Finale's control of the player, e.g. Human Playback.

If it's any consolation, Finale running native on M1 is amazingly fast!

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 am

Thanks, Ben. I found my problem in response to questions over at MM. It was a dumb mistake, as I expected.
Yes indeed, its lightning fast!
www.cantilenapress.com