HP long notes auto-crescendo

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Joel Denney
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Joel Denney » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:28 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to write a section of a concert band piece with long, sustained notes in the clarinets under a horn solo. I have all the clarinet parts marked pp, and there are no other dynamic markings in those parts. Using the Standard HP setting, the clarinets start to crescendo after the first bar. Depending on which HP I choose, the clarinet crescendo is somewhat more or less severe, and sometimes includes a decrescendo after several measures, but the only way I can get rid of the crescendo/decrescendo is by turning off HP entirely. I don't want this--I want an HP that will make the clarinets maintain their pp like a sustained organ. I'm using Finale 27 on a Windows laptop with the standard VST that comes with Finale. I've attached the score to this post; the section in question is on the first page. Thanks in advance for any help!
Joel
Attachments
00.1 Conductor's Score v1.0.musx
(145.95 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 pm

Is this an better? (attached)
Attachments
Expression.musx
(143.64 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Joel Denney
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by Joel Denney » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:50 pm

Yes, that is great. What did you change in HP (or other settings)?

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:50 am

In your document that I edited, go into MIDI/Audio -> Human Playback -> Custom. There you will see the settings I used.

MakeMusic tends to impose what it thinks you would want, like automatic expression. Garritan does the same with its insane amount of reverb. Unfortunately, publishers of music software do not consult educated musicians.