Playback problem for vocal sounds after upgrade to Mac with monterey

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kbwells
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by kbwells » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:27 pm

I have been using finale 2o14.5 as I’ve been working on a. Opera for a number of years — I’ll be upgrading soon but meanwhile I upgraded my MacBook operating system to current version of minterey and the playback in finale is a disaster — sone overall buzzing but the voice lines are off tune and like up and down like sone kind of joke — so I can’t work with finale for now — I’ve tried turning off human playback and so forth but doesn’t help — any suggestions or should I find a help number to call?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:08 pm

There is no help number to call. And if you're using 2014, you are no longer eligible for help.

Try exporting the file as an XML, and importing it back in.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

kbwells

Post by kbwells » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:51 am

I have hundreds of files. If or when I update Finale -- will it let me update files (I guess I'd have to open each one and resave?) -- then will it be compatible with the upgraded iOS monterey for a Mac? I don't understand what you mean one isn't eliglble for help; how long after a given version is one eligible? I did get help last year on a somewhat similar issue -- they had me forward a file as an example; anyway -- I'll probably see what happens when the computer and finale is updated and if I can use my files then. I am assuming there is some kind of setting that needs changed as it seems odd that only the choral sounds are so distorted -- anyway -- we'll see what happens when updated; not sure I understand what you mean about saving and reuploading in a different file format;but thanks for responding.

kbwells

Post by kbwells » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:59 am

Actually it's 2016; version 25.0.0.7722

not sure if that is still too old to respond.

kbwells

Post by kbwells » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:35 am

OK here is the issue apparently. When one is playing back and it has a glissando in a vocal part (not an issue if harp), then it becomes very distorted and like 2 octaves lower and out of tune; then even if you go to a different file, the vocal parts are all very distorted; if you close out finale and then restart it and go to a section without vocal glissando, playback is OK but only if you close out. So for some reason passing by vocal glissando, then causes those lines all (not just the ones with the glissando) to become very distorted. So in this version, I likely would need to remove at least while composing, all vocal glissandos. Not sure if any other features would cause distortion; but this seems to be the issue since the monterey upgrade -- it seems to be the case whether human playback is none or standard.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:57 pm

I don't see the version of your MacOS. Please update your profile.

FYI, 2014.5 and 25 are not compatible with Monterey, according to MakeMusic...

2014-5.jpg

25.jpg

Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua