Human Playback Not Working On Layer 2

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Eggsalad
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Eggsalad » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:38 am

Human Playback appears not to affect notes on Layer 2 when assigned to a different MIDI channel than Layer 1. Am I missing something? Is this a known issue or a limitation of HP? Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:01 am

If you can post a sample .musx file exhibiting the problem, even just a few measures, someone might be able to help.

Eggsalad

Post by Eggsalad » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:14 am

Ok, here's a test file which shows the behavior.
Attachments
HP Layer 2 Test.musx
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:12 pm

I see what you mean. It looks like Human Playback only sends out the patches to switch between pizz and arco on one of the channels. If you must have two channels, I guess you could use an extra staff for playback on channel 2, with its own pizzes and arcos, and suppress its playback on layer 2 in the original staff.

If your other thread is related to this, I don't think it has anything to do with playback assignments of the expressions, since they have no playback effect, that being handled by Human Playback instead.

Eggsalad

Post by Eggsalad » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 pm

Thanks for checking it out! Good workaround suggestion. Unfortunately it'd be too unwieldy for this project, a large score with many instances of the issue, which would mean many extra staves just for playback.

The other thread (can expression playback affect all multi-channel layers) is separate but obviously related to the general topic, playback issues with multi-channel layers. Again, could work around by splitting into multiple staves or having separate dedicated playback staves. But it's too bad it seems these features aren't compatible, that you have to trade off visual for playback.

Eggsalad

Post by Eggsalad » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 am

Finale tech. support pointed out that Expressions play back on only 1 channel per staff, selected by expanding the row in ScoreManager. HP works by reading expressions, so it too is available on only 1 channel per staff. This is obviously a big limitation, and they say it's on their list to address (in the "backlog").