Expressions Playback, can you go beyond MIDI 1:1-16?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HeartofTexas
Finale Version: 27.4.1.110
Operating System: Windows

Post by HeartofTexas » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:55 pm

This topic addresses creating a tacit for instruments on first time through, then bringing them back to play second time. I am currently using the Expressions Playback.

I have a large concert band piece where I want the lower brass to tacit first time through the last section. I achieved this by creating an "Tacit" Expressions function which sets the MIDI channel for that instrument to a channel not used (1:127) and then at the return to play point, created a "Play" function which re-assigns the instrument to its original MIDI. As far as I can learn, Expression Playback function can only assign channels in the first set of 16 channels and it cannot set to the second or third set of channels.

Unfortunately, while I hand entered the MIDI channels at the beginning for each instrument, keeping all of the tacit'd instrument in the first MIDI channel group (1:1 to 16), I every once in a while have to "Reassign Playback Sounds" because the Finale interface and the MIDI were not talking to each other even though the speakers were connected to Finale. This "reset" the MIDI channels starting at Piccolo as 1:1 through whatever using up the first bank of 16 channels before getting to the lower brass. Lower brass were assigned channels in mostly the second set.

This results in a trombone sounding like a bass clarinet (or whatever instrument was assigned the channel my Play function gave the trombone).

I am looking for a more reliable way to tacit voices and allow them to return after a repeat. The original solution to this was on the Finale Forum several years ago but did not have to deal with MIDI channels beyond the first set.

Using the method discussed in this forum earlier : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wA0qafqLvE

First, Can I use MIDI second or third channels in the Expression Playback function? How do I do this?
Second, is there a way to stabilize channel assignments that don't get changed by Finale's "Reassign Playback Sounds"?
Third, is there another way to reset the Finale MIDI handshake without using "Reassign Playback Sounds"?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Finale 26.3.1.520; Win 10; GPO5

HeartofTexas
Finale Version: 27.4.1.110
Operating System: Windows

Post by HeartofTexas » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Having read the 2011 post to its entire length, there is a better way to tacit first time.

In Expression Playback use Transposition rather than Channel function to silence the instrument voice. By setting Transposition to 125 or higher, and select Play only on pass 1, you can then set Transposition to 0 at the appropriate time to bring the instrument back to the playback. With this approach you don't need to change MIDI channels and everything gets much more simple.

Lesson: Read entire post rather than just a snippet of it. I am still interested in if you can use other MIDI banks in the Channel option in Expression Playback.
Finale 26.3.1.520; Win 10; GPO5