Vienna Symphonic Libraries playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

debmason1
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.2.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by debmason1 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:23 pm

I've just installed two VSL libraries, and Vienna Instruments Pro player - my test set up chamber orchestra score manager listed all the instruments correctly eg. I entered "flute" and iI was able to select the player and it loaded a sound, program, bank, channel automatically. But it wasn't the VSL, it just loaded the General MIDI set of sounds.

The MIDI Studio shows only the VSL player, the keyboard input and the MIDI interface all connected correctly.
When I test it I hear the keyboard ping

but

The Sound Map Priority doesn't list the VSL player,
the "Audio Units Banks and Effects" doesn't list the player,
I can't figure out how to make it play back

any suggestions would be very much appreciated,
thanks,
Deb
Sound Map Priority no VSL.jpg
Last edited by debmason1 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:16 am

The first thing to check is Midi/Audio - VST Banks and Effects. Check that the volume is turned up - for whatever reason when adding a new device the volume defaults to zero.
Although I use Windows, the player in my system is Vienna Instruments Pro, and the score manager displays Vienna Ensemble. I believe the Vienna Instruments you have set up is for stand-alone, although I could be mistaken (when I upgraded to iLok security from Steinberg it changed some things). Also, check that Midi/Audio - Plug-in Directories lists the folder where the VSL Library is stored.
When you play back you should see the VU bars in the Vienna player move, as in the Horn in the attached picture. If the volume bars aren't moving the midi signal is not getting to the Vienna player.
Vienna Ensemble.jpg
. If my suggestions don't help email the VSL help desk. They are responsive.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

debmason1
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.2.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by debmason1 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:52 am

Thanks very much, I'll look into these suggestions!!