Any way to make ARIA Player controls work?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:56 pm

I want to utilize Garritan's "Pad 2 (warm)" instrument sound, but the amount of crescendo imposed on each is too great for my score. I tried changing the release and decay rate in Aria Player, but the controls are non-functional. Does anybody know how to make the controls work in ARIA Player to reduce the crescendo for this instrument?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Are you talking about the GIFF > GM > Pad 2 (warm) instrument?

There are two controls: Attack CC20 and Release CC21. There's no Decay control.

However, you're right that neither one does anything. There's no mention of those CCs in the instrument's SFZ file! (Another classic of the many errors in the SFZ files. They also seem to reference curves that aren't defined.)

The only control seems to be the Note Velocity, which affects how fast the crescendo is.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:25 pm

Sorry for not getting back: I did not receive the usual notification.

Yes, Garritan's synth "Pad 2 (warm)" has no Decay Rate in the Control panel, but it has one in the Convolution and one in the Ambience sections of the Effects panel: neither have any effect on the sound. Either ARIA Player is not fully compatible with Finale or the Garritan has a bug. I wish these publishers were a little more conscientious.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 pm

The Decay settings in the Ambience and Convolution panels are for the reverb, not the sound itself.

That Effects section will only affect the sound when the SEND dial in the mixer is turned up from zero. (and obviously when one or other is switched on. Turning on both will be less desirable.)

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:32 am

Thanks for the explanation. I think the best solution for me is to look for a plug-in that offers the sound for which I was looking. I'll give Note Performer a try.