cello playback glitch

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

simboden
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by simboden » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:45 pm

Hello,

I'm having an odd issue with this piece, where on the and of two in this measure, the cello playback is playing a low F rather than the written E. When I first copied this measure into this new document, the playback worked correctly, but after adding dynamics it went back to playing this F, and continued to do so after deleting the dynamics.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Sean
Attachments
mvt. II.musx
(103.08 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Finale does not like editing: it wants you to get it perfectly right the first time. The only solution I have found are the steps below.

1. Write the notation afresh in a blank measure elsewhere in the score.
2. Select the problematic measure -> right-click in it -> Clear All Items.
3. Copy & Paste the notation from the new measure into the old.
4. Delete the duplicated notation.

Those steps worked for me in your document, which I have attached. I slowed the tempo only to help identify the pitch.
Attachments
mvt. II (Corrected).musx
(101.95 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:35 am

Djard wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:21 pm
Finale does not like editing: it wants you to get it perfectly right the first time. The only solution I have found are the steps below.
Nonsense.

The low E on the and of 2 plays back back correctly for me. I wonder what the difference is.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:26 am

It seems each of us has a different experience. I don't recall running into any problems until I start changing what I have written. The more I edit, the more unstable Finale becomes. MakeMusic has acknowledged more than once that bugs exist.

In the document I downloaded in the OP, the E natural played back as an F. When I cleared the MIDI data in that measure, the E played back correctly. That the issue is absent when writing the same notes in a later measure proves to me that something became corrupted in the first measure of the cello.

Motet, I am happy to hear that you do not experience such issues. Maybe you have configured Finale differently. Who knows what causes the instability: ZenDesk reports that too many plug-ins can destabilize Finale, and I have three added.

motet

Post by motet » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:09 pm

What I said was nonsense was exactly what I quoted your saying. It has not been my experience that if you don't enter it right the first time, you can't edit it and instead have to reenter the whole measure. Finale certainly has bugs, but I have never had to reenter anything.

If simply clearing MIDI data fixed the wrong note, I'm not sure why you suggested reentering the music elsewhere and pasting it in. Stray "MIDI data" is in fact a problem one sometimes sees manifest in tempo problems. I'm not sure what caused it in this case.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Yes, it was an overstatement. Sorry. I get sooooo frustrated when having to spend more time trying to make the software work than to actually write music.

motet

Post by motet » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

The next time you have trouble editing something, isolate the measure and post it here. Maybe someone can help.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 am

Will do. Thanks.